5.

The next week, everything was back to normal. Frank was back in class and even did some of his own homework. He definitely got a terrible grade for it but he was studying and he was being nice to me, so I was pretty damn happy. Gerard and I had hung out a few more times but still nothing romantic was happening at all and I had officially decided that we were just friends, which was fine by me as I was more concerned with studying for my midterms than dating. 

"Poppy, stop daydreaming," Frank pouted, throwing a pen at my face.

"Ouch!" I exclaimed, rubbing my face.

"Frank Iero, stop throwing your pens at Poppy and do some work!" our Math teacher snapped. Frank smirked at me before continuing to write into his notebook. Watching him study was impressive. Wait a minute, why am I staring at Frank while he studies?

"Poppy Bryar, stop staring at Frank and do some work!" the teacher snapped again. Several people around the classroom giggled and I began to blush. Why am I blushing? Why is Frank blushing? I quickly ignored it and continued to study. 

Once class was over, I packed up my bag and walked outside with Frank.

"My brain hurts," he sulked. "It actually hurts. How do people concentrate in class every day?"

"The pain stops eventually," I grinned. "You just have to study every day until you get used to it."

"EVERY DAY?!" he shouted in shock, making me laugh loudly. 

"So..." I said, shuffling my feet along the floor as I realised I had become nervous all of a sudden. "What's...up?"

"You're being weird Pops," he laughed, before we arrived outside his car. "You want a ride home in the shitmobile?"

"No thanks," I said. "I've told you I won't be seen dead in that thing. I'll walk home."

"See you in 20 minutes?"

I looked at his eager, cute face as he got into his car and threw his bag down without ever breaking eye contact with me.

"I...I've got loads of work to do," I said. "Maybe I'll call you over later if I'm finished."

"Alright," Frank said, rolling his eyes. "I hope it's not this Gerard that's put you in a bad mood else I'm gonna have to punch him!"

As he said that, he drove away. I used the walk home to work out what the hell was going on in my mind. Frank was my best friend. Always had been, always will be. We've seen each other naked, hung out every day for years- nothing is awkward between us but all of a sudden things are getting awkward. I couldn't bear the thought of living without Frank as my best friend, so I needed to cut out whatever crap was going through my mind. I was in such deep thought about all of this that I was home in what seemed like five minutes rather than my usual twenty-minute walk. I rushed upstairs as soon as I got inside and threw my bag onto my bed in frustration. I looked out of my bedroom window and I could see Frankie sat at his desk- I had never seen him sat at his desk before. He had a look of concentration and confusion plastered over his face, which was cute. I closed my curtain to stop me from looking at him and so that I could get out of my school uniform.

Frank's P.O.V

Fuck, Math is so hard. Why is it so hard? I've never done my homework with Poppy's help, but I can't keep asking her. She's gonna think I'm an idiot.

I looked up and out of my window to see if Poppy was in her room. Her curtains were drawn shut, which was unusual. I could see the silhouette of her body getting undressed and dressed again, and I found myself daydreaming about her body. Quickly, I snapped myself out of it and tried to focus on my Math homework. Fucking hell, how can I concentrate on Math instead of a naked woman?

Frustrated, I got up from my desk and threw myself onto my bed. I was so sick of it. I couldn't cope with it anymore. I reached under my bed and pulled out a battered old notebook that I'd had for over a decade. I opened it up and admired one of the first pages of the book.

07/03/2003

I met our new neighbours today. There's a guy who is bigger than me and he kind of scares me and he has a sister, her name is Poppy. I spoke to her for two hours and it turns out we have everything in common and she's definitely going to be my best friend which is great because when I look at her I feel really weird and happy at the same time

I flicked forward in the book.

05/06/2007

Staying at Poppy's again tonight. She's the best thing about this town- if it weren't for her I'd have moved out a long time ago. She is the only thing that is actually important to me.

08/11/2010

Still in love with Poppy. 

12/12/2012

Still in love with Poppy

01/10/2013

Still in love with Poppy

I glanced at my cellphone and noted the date

11/18/2013

Still in love with Poppy

I put down my pen and closed the notebook before shoving it under my bed again in anger. We'd been friends for so long that it was impossible for us to become anything more. The way she jokes about being with me sexually and then insisting she's joking...it's obvious she doesn't feel the same way about me. All of the girlfriends I have never compare to her sense of humour, her intelligence, her smile...

That's why they never last. After a few weeks I can't stand it anymore. I tell Poppy that they were jealous of her to see her reaction, but she just tells me I can do better than them.

We're just friends.

And we'll always just be friends. I just have to keep reminding myself of this before I get heartbroken.