Ch. 39 (PG-13, D): The Fight for Wakeforest Mountain, Part 2

"Love in the Great Pine Woods", Ch. 39 (PG-13, D): The Fight for Wakeforest Mountain, Part 2,

June 06, 2016 by Gratiana Lovelace(Post #921)

(An original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace; all rights reserved) [(1) story cover, left]

Author's Content Note: "Love in the Great Pine Woods" is a mature love story with dramatic themes of love and relationships. It will mostly be at the PG and PG-13 movie levels. Specific chapters or passages may have a further rating of: L for language, D for dramatic emotions, and S for sensual themes. And I will rate the chapters accordingly. If you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide for a chapter, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer. And as is my habit, I will summarize the previous chapter's events at the beginning of the next chapter.

Author's Recap from the Previous Chapter: The state capitol court hearings in Largemont for the civil suit of Carter Family versus Wakeforest Family Lumber Mill and Conservatorship in the death of Aiden Carter begins on July 11, 1956 with the plaintiff's star witness Dr. Matt Carter giving testimony about his brother Aiden Carter's death on Wakeforest Mountain due to the avalanche January 2, 1956. Even with this strain, Sam Wakeforest is more concerned about his seven months pregnant wife Olivia who was experiencing pains this morning that his sister took Olivia to the doctor for. Though Olivia and Tessa ended up at Wakeforest County Hospital where tests and examinations revealed that she has a blod clot in her left leg that had been injured in the same avalanche—and maybe a blood clot in her lungs. Sam is frantic and though he is due to testify after the lunch break, all Sam wants is to get to Olivia back home in Wakeforest, an hour away.

"Love in the Great Pine Woods", Ch. 39 (PG-13, D): The Fight for Wakeforest Mountain, Part 2

After Sam uses all of his dimes to make a pay phone call to the Wakeforest County Hospital to find out how his wife Olivia and their unborn child are doing, he reaches Tessa who is called to the nurses' station to take the call.

Sam on phone: "Tessa!" Sam barks into the phone. "What's wrong with Olivia? Your note said a blood clot."

Tessa on phone: "Oh Sam! Yes, the doctor has her on blood thinner medicine, but she is still in a lot of pain. They might have to give her another dose in two more hours and maybe keep her overnight for observation."

Sam on phone: "I should be there with her!"

Tessa on phone: "How is the trial going?"

Sam on phone: "I can't tell." Sam shakes his head. "We're in recess for lunch, then I'm going to be called to testify when we get back. How is Olivia? Really?"

Tessa on phone: "She's hanging in there." Tessa's voice wavers. She knows that Olivia desperately wants her husband Sam by her side, but Tessa also knows that Sam is legally bound to be in attendance at the civil trial an hour away in the state capital of Largemont.

Sam on phone: "But she would be better if I were there."

Tessa on phone: "Yes. Can you get the judge to postpone your testimony this afternoon?"

Sam on phone: "I don't know. But tell Olivia that I love her, and that I will see her in an hour either way." Sam hangs up the pay phone.

Roger: "Olivia?"

Sam: "Stable, but they have to give her blood thinners to try to dissolve the clot. I should be there with her. And I'm going to be." Sam stares at their attorney, Mr. DeWitt.