Ch. 40 (PG-13, D): Olivia's Pain

"Love in the Great Pine Woods", Ch. 40 (PG-13, D): Olivia's Pain, 
June 14, 2016 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post #923)

(An original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace; all rights reserved) [(1) story cover, left]

Author's Content Note: "Love in the Great Pine Woods" is a mature love story with dramatic themes of love and relationships. It will mostly be at the PG and PG-13 movie levels. Specific chapters or passages may have a further rating of: L for language, D for dramatic emotions, and S for sensual themes. And I will rate the chapters accordingly. If you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide for a chapter, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer. And as is my habit, I will summarize the previous chapter's events at the beginning of the next chapter.

Author's Recap from the Previous Chapter: With court in recess for lunch on July 11, 1956 at the Largemont state capitol for the civil suit brought by the Carter Family against the Wakeforest Family about the death of Aiden Carter in the January 2nd avalanche, Sam Wakeforest speeds toward the Wakeforest County Hospital--where the nearly seven months Olivia Wakeforest is under observatgion with a blood clot in her leg--with an unlikely driving companing, Dr. Matt Carter, the brother of the deceased Aiden Carter. Sam and Aiden had briefly pulled Sam's car over to a shoulder of the road to discuss the merits of each side of the case, which gives both men much to think about. But Sam's first priority is reaching his wife in the hospital.

"Love in the Great Pine Woods", Ch. 40 (PG-13, D): Olivia's Pain

After Sam Wakeforest parks his car in the Wakeforest County Hospital, he and Dr. Matt Carter race inside to Sam's wife's Olivia' Wakeforest's hospital room around 12:45pm on Monday July 11, 1956.

Up on the second floor of the hospital, Tessa's hand is fisted and in front of her mouth as she watches her beloved sister-in-law Olivia Wakeforest moans and twists in pain--from a blood clot in her lower left leg--in her hospital bed as a nurse and the young doctor intern try to calm her.

Olivia: "Hmmm. Hhh! Hhh! Hhh!" Olivia whimpers in excruciating pain as tears stream down her cheeks [(2) right]. Her breathing is quick and shallow since her several hours of being in pain and worrying about her unborn baby have reached a breaking point for her as she begins to have a panic attack.

Nurse: "Mrs. Wakeforest. Please remain still, Dear. We cannot help you if you do not." The older nurse says calmly and soothingly in the hope of getting through to Olivia.

Tessa: "Help her! You've done nothing to alleviate her pain so far." Tessa charges forlornly. She hates to see Olivia in such agony—and it has only worsened as the morning has gone on.

Dr. James: "Mrs. Delany, Mrs. Wakeforest is in pain because the blood thinner medicine we gave her, has not worked. The blood clot must still be there in her leg." As a young doctor, he is still learning the ropes, but he is all they have at the moment.

Tessa: "Well, try another medicine!" Tessa looks wild eyed.

Olivia: "Please! Make the pain go away!" Olivia pleads in desperation. Her lower left leg is red and swollen—the swelling is contributing to her pain. She likely has a deep vein thrombosis [(3)] blood clot.

Dr. James: "Mrs. Wakeforest, I cannot give you anything stronger. It would harm the baby."

Olivia: "Help me!" Olivia implores.

Tessa: "But there must be something you can do?"

Dr. James: "There is nothing." He shakes his head in distress.