7. Kindle

"And she will never be able to go back to her old self again, she will never be able to look at life the same way again, for some people have ruined that for her, gruesomely."

"It's been nearly an hour, and you didn't even catch one fish! How pathetic." I say, rolling my eyes.

He looks at me with a glare and gives me a sarcastic smile, "Oh, you wanna try sweetie? I am sure you'd catch a bucketful."

"Piss off." I say, sticking out my tongue at him.

He just shakes his head and hoes back to his fishing.

Every evening since that day, we've been spending it here, at Shelley lake. Since that day, we've become sort of close. And I don't know what to think of it.

"Yay! I found one!" He cheers loudly.

I try not to laugh at his childishness.

I watch as the dying fish trembles in the bucket and finally settles. He noticed this and asked, "What are you looking at?"

I dodge his question and ask him, "What if we die and no one finds us? What happens then?"

He seems to think for a minute and says, "The vultures will find us, they do. I saw it on National Geographic."

"See, that's what scares me the most. Thinking of being someone's meal and all those sharp nails breaking into my skin, ripping me apart. I would rather be buried properly, than smell like hell." I say seriously.

He laughs and says, "Don't worry, Adira. Your perfume will keep you fresh for days."

Suddenly, he gets up and stretches his hand for me. I look at him questioningly.

"Come on, I wanna take you somewhere."

I take his hand and get up. "Where?"

"Somewhere." He answers vaguely.

"Nope, I am not coming anywhere with you until you ask me properly."

He gives me a look and rolls his eyes.

"Princess Adira, would you give me the pleasure of taking you somewhere? It would mean a lot." He says, sarcasm dripping in his voice.

"Are you asking me out for a date?" I tease him.

Since when did I tease? Damn, this boy is changing me.

"Well, I wanted you to meet my mum, but if a date is something you want then.." He trails.

"No!" I say, quickly.

He laughs. "Come on, then."

But why did he want me to meet his mother?

***

After half hour of pointless bickering, he pulls up in front of a house which looks very modern.

He wraps his fingers around my wrist and leads me to the door.

"Harry, why am I here?" I whisper at him.

"Because my mum wanted to meet you." He shrugs lightly.

He knocks on the dark mahogany door and it opens to reveal a woman with blond hair. She looks like she is in mid-fifties. She is beautiful.

She wraps her arms around Harry and says, "I didn't know you were coming today, Harry." Her accent is American, unlike Harry's.

So, Harry lives on his own.

Harry grins down at her and keeps her at an arms distance and says, "Mum, this is Adira."

She beams at me and gives me a warm hug.