What now?

"Annie fall." Mikasa Ackerman whispered to her enemy \ ex-lover. They seemed so simple but also meant so much. There was anger, sadness, and bitterness in them. But also relief and a strange sense of loneliness. But most of all the words told Annie that Mikasa was done. Done with Annie, tired of falling and wanted Annie to fall as much as her. Annie saw it all and even though she promised herself she wouldn't, she began to cry. She cried because the battle is over, she can rest but now she will always be alone. Away from the girl she loved because the love story is over, only reality remains. A flashback of her dad's last words to her flashed before her eyes. "I've never been able to forgive you because I'm too much like you now. Fighting hard coded in to our brains but nothing else because what we do is too much. Fighting a war with too many casualties and not a regard for anyone else. The end did not justify the means Dad. All people like us do in the end is make things worse. Heh, that's probably why we're so lonely. All we ever do is fight. With Mikasa I was able to love but I was also able to fall too. I'll stop fighting just this once Mikasa. I'll only fall for you. Bye Mikasa. Don't be like me, there is a life outside the fight. I'm sorry." Annie let someone else do the fighting, she needed to have one moment when she could be herself not the fighter. A guilty and lonely girl that could never be a child with memories of Mikasa her only solace.
Mikasa sort of blanked out when she saw Annie in that crystal being carried off. Mikasa thought up possibilities of what's gonna happen to Annie now. It made her feel cold and panicked inside as they all went over in her head. She also thought about the mission she just did. She wasn't sure if she should be relieved it is over or angry that all their hard work and sacrifice was all for nothing. But most of all she thought about the question: What now? She already knew the answer but at the same time she didn't. Unsure if she could keep on believing in the right thing. She would still fight for all her worth but where would that get her?' What about Annie? Do I just forget about her? Do I do what I promised myself I would do? But Annie is still a person and she probably could fight for us, if we teach her. But I need more that. I need the real her, I need the truth, I need something to make sense, I need something I can control. I need solace. So the question is: What now? I think I already know the answer though. Those moments of peace with Annie, they reminded me of the other things in life. Thank you Annie, I'll try to keep close to the others because you are a great example that fighting is not everything. I'll become my own person so I know for sure what is right or wrong and I can control my own destiny. Thank you Annie. I'll never regret letting you have my heart. Never regret my first real step in being my own person.

The End