What are ghouls?

The rain lets up and I go for a walk. Hungry. Lonely. I see a family. Their meat looks, soft. Squishy. Delicious. Wait. What? No. No. Nononononono. I head home. But that feeling. That hunger. Those people. That was short lived.

I turn on the tv and watch the news.

~the ghouls have been popping up more and more in the city. People have been going missing, but we will not leave anyone in the dark about this. The ghoul investigators, or the gi will be coming in to destroy them all. We will have the gi leader of squad A will discuss ghouls with us.~

~ thank you. I am Jace, the leader of squad A. Ghouls are nasty creatures. They look like humans but they are a threat. They eat humans, as you know. They could be anyone. That friendly old lady at the park who feeds the birds. The waiter at your favorite restaurant. These are dangerous times. Ghouls need to eat once a month, but some eat more. These are called binge eaters. Ghouls seem to work alone. Ghouls have black eyes with red irises when in ghoul form, but they can hide it. There are four types of kagune. Binkaku, like a tail on the lower back, rinkaku, like scaled tentacles, above the Binkaku, above that is the koukaku, which wraps around the arm and is heavy, and at the top between the shoulder blades is the ukaku, like shining feathers which is light but they have low stamina. Each is dangerous. They wear masks when fighting to hide their identity. But we are working on destroying them all. They can resort to cannibalism but they don't do that. Their bodies are different from ours, so they can not digest human food. It tastes rotten to them and makes them very sick. Their skin cannot be cut by anything except for another kagune, which is formed by rc cells. We have weapons made from those rc cells to kill the ghouls. They also have a very fast healing time. It would not be wise to be out at night. Alone, or with others. We are working on...~

I shut off the tv in horror. The food... No... The family... My ability to survive... The ghoul doctor saving me... What organs did he put into me.... The hunger.... It's almost been a month and it hurts. I get up in a daze and head out.