Original Resolution

The next month goes the same way and the hunger increases until I can eat again. I get stronger but I can't use my kagune yet. We fight. I can now break arms and beat people up. Normal people. The hive has humans. I practice on them. I hate it. I hear their cries and I cry too. But nobody sees this because of my mask. I try to go easy on them, but that earns me a beating from the twins. I try to finish them off quickly and limit the pain. But I can't. I want to go home. I've missed five tests so far and I haven't been back to school in forever. It's been a month. My phone is in my house. I wonder how many times Casper has visited. I wonder how many times he called and texted. Is he worried? I'm his only friend. I want to see him again. Jamie is the closest thing I have to a friend and she's strange. Very curt. She seems young, but I wonder how old she really is? These thoughts keep me awake at night, along with the faces of terrified and hurt people as I'm forced to kill them. I hear their screams, over and over. I feel the hunger. I miss food. Normal food.

I get to eat tomorrow. The food comes, and I'm starving. I devour it, but halfway through, I stop. I'm eating a person. Who may have had a family. A spouse. Kids. The kids may cry out 'where's daddy?' Or 'when will mommy come home?' And they won't understand why their parent abandon them. That they had no choice. That they are dead and never coming home. Their parent will say 'I don't know' or 'they will be back soon' because they either don't know either or don't want their beloved child to have to face that wretched truth. Ghouls are horrible, disgusting creatures and they all deserve death. Yet here I am, with ghouls, being a ghoul. I deserve death. But how would Casper feel? How does Casper feel now? I have to see my only friend again. As soon as I can. I have to live so I can see him. Even if that means eating people and fighting my way up the ranks, to get to leave this hell hole. I will survive.