Day One

I wake up early due to doors opening and slamming and ghouls walking down the stairs. They talk. But I'm locked in. I smell something good. Something delicious. Like my mothers pasta that she made. My favorite. Then she moved to another country. She never loved me. But she made good food.

I hear the click of a lock and the girl comes in.

"Breakfast. Put these on and follow me... Well get dressed.... You don't want me in here for that do you... I'll turn around. But hurry."

I throw on the black pants and shirt and throw the dark red hood over my head. It has a cape. I feel like a superhero with my hood and cape. Too bad I have to eat people. I shudder.

As we head down the stairs I ask her name.

"Jamie. Now, let me tell you everything you need to know. You are in sector 20. The lowest. You eat once a month. The least amount you can survive on. Work hard and make your way up. We will train you, and you will work. Stay quiet and don't speak unless someone asks you a question. Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't whine. Now, let's eat."

We enter into a large room filled with ghouls and long tables. 20 to be exact. 20 ghouls at each table. I counted. Jamie leads me to a table near the back. It's filled with old people, young kids and weak looking people. I sit and they gape at me. I guess they aren't used to new people.

A small child whispers to an elderly man, "do we eat today? I'm hungry."

He nods and the children grin. 20th sector must be hard. But I just ate yesterday. But I should eat when I can. I take a moment to look around. The room is dark. This whole place is. Blood stains. Filth. And ghouls. Lots, and lots of them. The tables are placed so half the people on one side can see the podium and half have to turn around. A large ghoul in a mask goes to the podium and announces that everyone is eating today and ghouls from what I assume is sector 18 pass out food. Slabs of human flesh. A gag. We also get coffee. This confused me. But it was amazing. Ghouls eyes turn and they eat. I pass my food to the children. I don't want to eat. I never want to eat again if it had to be this way. I can't forgive myself for yesterday. Finally we all get up and Jamie grabs me and drags me down yet another hall.

We enter a large room where two masked ghouls standing against the wall.

"These are the twins. Do not anger them. They will rip your head off in a heart beat. Literally." And she leaves me with that pleasant thought.

"Come forward Felix." They say in unison. How do they know my name? Creeps. " we will train you to fight. Take out your kagune." My what now? They stare. I think. Maybe not. I can't see their eyes. "Come on child we don't have all day".

"I...I can't. I d-don't know how." Is all I can manage. Jeez these two are creepy. Monotone voices in unison. Are all ghouls like this? At least Jamie is slightly animated.

"You can't, huh? We'll change that." They rush towards me and slam me with their kagune. I ooze blood on both sides. The pain quickly recedes. The bleeding stops. They healed. But more wounds take their place. And I fall. Blood. Pain. My vision goes red. I've never felt so much pain. It's not just like the hole in my stomach, this is several holes. Oh God. I black out. When I come to, the twins are on the ground and I am standing. I lost control. They rise and pin me down. I realize that what must be my kagune is out. Two purple and red tail like things, four black tentacley things and orange- red wing things. The result of the Doctor- jacks- work.

"He's strong. We must work on this. How about no kagune for now. Yes. Breaking someone's arm. Take their wrist, turn it over and knee their elbow. Try it." He holds out his arm. I guess if I'm to ever make it out alive, I should follow his instructions. I take his wrist and send my knee into his elbow. I feel the bone pop up. I hear the sickening crack. But he doesn't even flinch. Just pops in into place and it heals. We do it a couple more times working on speed and getting around their defenses. I'm tired when I get locked back in my room.

The next day, we sit at the tables but get no food. Today is not our eating day. But Jamie comes and hands me a mask. White, with a black line down the center to my nose, then two across on my forehead and under my eyes. The eyes are painted on, but I can see through them. It smells weird and I don't know why I need it, but I keep it on, like everyone else.