Chapter 4

"Hey, Patricius!" Loseph said as he jogged toward his friend.
The soldier stopped in his track and turned to face his friend, "What?" He said, annoyed.
"I...I'm sorry for what happened."
"I don't care of your apologies. I'm gonna get whipped tomorrow anyway." Patricius said then shooked his head while looking at the ground. He looked back up at his friend and said, "I can't believe he did this even after I told you not do it."
"I know, we...I mean, I told him not do it but he did it anyway. You know, he's always been like that, always wanting the attention on him, but it's gone too far this time. I'm so sorry." He said as he put a hand on the soldier's shoulder.
"That's okay. Hopefully they won't go too hard with the whip." He chuckled.
Loseph smiled slightly.
"And you know what?" Patricius added, "I'm not only going to get whipped tomorrow, but I also might loose Elisa."
"Why?" Loseph asked confused.
"Her dad's my superior. And I don't think he wants a guy who helps homeless enter that kind of party. Well, you're not homeless but you know what I mean."
"Yeah I know." Loseph replied, "Good luck for tomorrow."
"Thank you. See you later." Patricius said before walking away.

The next morning...

The sun was beginning to rise in Rome.
"PATRICIUS!" A voice yelled from the other part of the barrack, waking up some soldiers.
Patricius was still laying on his bunk, asleep, like other soldiers.
"PATRICIUS!" The voice yelled again, still not waking up the soldier.
The man walked over to Patricius' bunk, took the soldier's arm and brought him down his bed.

Patricius immediately woke up after his body touched the ground.
He landed on his side, the fall on the hard ground probably broke one of his rib cause he winced in pain as he put one of his arm over his torso.
"Stand up!" The man ordered.
Patricius looked up at the man and stood up.
The man was a soldier too, but more high ranking. He had his helmet on and and his armor. His hand on the handle of his sword.
He violently grabbed Patricius by the arm and led him outside.
All the others soldier looked at the scene without saying a word.

Patricius was led into another room, a big room with chains attached to the ceiling and dry blood on the ground.
The high-ranked soldier kicked Patricius in the back of his knee and he fell to the ground in front of the door, his head hanging low.
The door opened and three other men entered the room. A man in armor and two soldiers.
The old man was Patricius' superior, Elisa's dad.

"Patricius..." His superior sighed, "I'm so disappointed of you. I thought my daughter finally found a good guy. But no." Elisa's dad said as he walked toward a little table and took a whip off of it.
Patricius kept looking at the ground.
His superior went in front of him again, "You made a really big mistake last night. But I'm going to be nice to you....well, not that nice." He chuckled, "I should normally fire you for what you did, but I'm just going to give you the correction you deserve. And..." The man thought for a moment, "I'm letting you stay with my daughter."
"Oh god, thank you." Patricius said with a shaky voice as he looked up at the man.
"You love her, right?" The superior asked.
"So much." The soldier replied.
"You're going to be a good son-in-law. And a good husband for my daughter. If of course this is the last time you do something like this." The man said, looking down at Patricius.
"I won't do it ever again. I promise."

"Lets get this over with." The man said, "Take care of him." He said to the two soldiers behind him.
The two men walked to Patricius and took hold of his arms, making him stand up.
They took off his tunic, leaving him only in his underwear.
They attached his wrists to one of the chain on the ceiling.
"This is with a lot of regret that I'm doing this Patricius." The man said.
He tightened the whip in his hand then whipped the bare back of the soldier.
A loud scream of pain echoed in the corridor of the barrack.