Chapter 51

He ran his fingers through her tangled strands and combed her hair with the gentlest of strokes. He didn't know how to make a proper braid, so he gathered her hair in a high ponytail and tied three more scrunchies to give a mock braid look. She was having fun watching him struggle with things, he never thought he would have to do one day.

When he was finally done, he laid her down and planted a small kiss on her forehead, wishing her good night.

"I am going to be right outside, keeping a watch on you. Just give me a buzz whenever you feel, ok?"

She didn't want to let him go, not even to the next room, but her bed had place only for one person and she didn't want him to stay up all night. In any case he wouldn't have a comfortable sleep on the couch outside, it was small for a guy of his frame, but she knew he would scold her to death if she volunteered to exchange places. Reluctantly she let him go.

Manik settled on the couch. It was a tad too small for him, but he was anyways not going to sleep. He would have to be alert. She could be in pain anytime, as soon as the effect of the medicine would wear off. He switched off the lights and started googling on his phone "How to comfort your girl during her period". He wasn't officially a boyfriend, he hadn't even confessed to her that he loved her and yet he was doing all the things that guys call 'gross' and girls 'cute'.

He flipped through couple of useless sites till he came across this list and started checking against each option

If possible, put her period in your calendar and take the two first days off from work - It was a weekend and he was already with her. (Checked)

Be prepared with her favourite snacks, drinks, and meals - He had just fed her whatever he could get his hands on. He had stuffed the rest in the refrigerator. May be tomorrow, if she felt a little better, he would bring whatever she wanted. (Half checked)

Bring her a hot water bottle. Oh no, did she have a hot bag or something. He would have to ask her and he couldn't do it now. (Unchecked)

Massage - ???? As much as he would be willing to volunteer, would she be comfortable. He couldn't believe he was even thinking this. Any other girl would have literally screamed from rooftop if Manik had given or even promised to give a massage, but this was Nandini Murthy, the blushing talking blinking doll. (Question Mark)

Bring her lots of water - This one was easy, why didn't they have more such options?? (Double checked)

Have her favourite movie or TV show on hand - she didn't have a TV, ok she had a laptop, but wait it wasn't a TV show that would comfort her, it had to be music (checked)

Cuddle her, listen to her, give her space... basically, be attentive and flexible - If only she wouldn't chicken out or throw him out of her house (Risky and question mark)

Oh well, this wasn't bad, he had it covered like always. He was prepared for the worst, only he didn't wish it to happen. He hoped, the doctor had been wrong about the pain and she would wake up fresh like the morning dew.

Even though he had planned to stay up, sleep eventually caught up with his exhausted body and he closed his eyes leaning against the couch.

************

He heard a light moan, floating away from a distance. He struggled to open his drooping eyes. He failed at the first attempt but that moaning sound continued to flow in.

He shook up with a jerk, was it Nandini, had she woken up? Oh shit! HE stood up and went inside to check on her. She was writhing in agony on the bed.