Chapter 97

They were done with the security check & were just waiting for the boarding to be announced, when Manik remembered he had to call Nandini. He had not told her anything about this sudden trip, in fact he had been so busy throughout the day that he had not had the time to call or meet her even once.

"Hey , what's my cotton doing?" He walked past Ranbir & Navya towards a corner, ignoring the teasing looks they gave him.

"Does it really matter to you?" He grinned, imagining her cute face, fuming with anger. This is exactly the kind of reaction he was expecting from Nandini.

"I am sorry dear, I was way too busy today."

"Really Manik?" So much had happened within the span of a day, that her head was about to explode. And the saddest part was, that Manik was nowhere near her when she needed him the most. Forget near, he wasn't even reachable. Every single time she had called him, either she had found the line busy or it had kept ringing. Not once had he called back. She had sent him some 20 odd messages in WhatsApp, none of which he had read.

"Yep really miss Murthy" Manik was completely oblivious to what was in store for him. He thought, like any other day, Nandini would fume for a while, crib , shout and then finally melt into his arms.. Virtual hands that is.

"Right, so busy that you couldn't come for my interview, forget coming, you couldn't even send a 'Best of luck' message?"

"Interview? Kab kahan? Why didn't you tell me yaar?" Manik was surprised. He honestly had no clue. 'Had she told him, she was going to appear for one?' He was wracking his brain trying to recall their conversation from the previous night.

"Yaa... I should have told you hai na, why don't you do something, why don't you check your whatsapp for a change, may be pata chal jay?" Her words were steeped in anger & dripping with sarcasm, but she was angry out of desperation.

"Shit!!!! Shit..shit.. I am really really sorry yaar....waise a big congratulations Miss Murthy, I always knew you will rock it. Congratulations on your new job. The treat is due on me." Yes, she had messaged him. The first one was timed at 9 something AM, where she had mentioned, she had called the NGO, Ranbir had asked her to check with and because they had an urgent requirement, they had scheduled her interview later in afternoon. She had also asked him to come along because she was nervous and like always, needed him to be by her side when she went for it. Her next message was sometime around 11, just before she was leaving home, and then one at 2, informing him, albeit in a dejected tone that she had bagged it but that she was missing him and if he could come around. There was a pile of more messages from her, mostly asking him where he was and why he wasn't responding to her calls or messages. Her last message however, was at 9.30 pm. It was short and still sounded sad and angry . 'Where the hell are you? All hell has broken loose at home. Call ASAP'. Shit he had missed them all and now he was feeling really sorry and infact was worried. "Baat kya hai Nandini, ghar pe kya hua?"

"Can't tell you here, can you please come on skype.. " Her patience was running thin after all the drama at home.

Keeping aside her resentment, she just wanted to see him.

"Nandini why can't you tell over the phone, Skype would be a little tough now." He didn't want to tell her at once that he was leaving for Delhi. She didn't know the context and she might get unnecessarily worried, he thought.

"Whatever...." she got further pissed off. "I don't know anything... I need to see you for heaven's sake"

"Try and understand Nandini, I can't. I am at the airport, I have a flight to catch in 10 minutes" He had to tell her, despite not wanting to, not at least now, in this manner.