Chapter 119

"Whats the matter Alya, you were supposed to call me and Mukti to ranbir's place na? That's what we had decided? To fir suddenly yahan tumhare ghar pe kyun bulaya?" Dhruv asked as soon as he saw Alya standing in a corner of her terrace, holding the railing.

"They are getting married"

"Who..who are getting married? What are you talking about?"

"Manik and..Nandini..." Up until now, Dhruv had been wondering, why Alya was talking, as if in a trance. Now it made sense.

His own reaction was a lot like of someone who had just taken an injection. It didn't register at once, except for that microsecond long prick, but as time passed by, he started feeling more and more uncomfortable, as if an alien fluid had been stirred into his blood. And the most intriguing part was that he didn't even know what was bothering him so much.

"So...you..are you...upset about it?" he couldn't even frame the sentence properly. Anything he spoke now could hurt her and that was the last thing he wanted .

"Should I be?" she turned her face towards him "upset?? What do you think...mujhe upset hona chahiye kya?" Even though her eyes were fixed on him, her mind was somewhere else.

"Main kya bolun, ask yourself, may be you already know the answer. You don't look happy though. I understand.. even after all these years you still have a soft corner for Manik. I understand Alya, its always difficult to forget your first love."

She broke into a laugh, hollow and haunting as it reverberated through the morning air. "Is that what you are thinking right now? Is that what you have always thought about me?" She demanded.

It was getting difficult to follow her words. She was in a daze, talking like a stranger.... like someone on sedatives...asking vague questions that he didn't have answers to. Dhruv wanted to say the right thing but he couldn't figure out what she wanted to hear. Consoling her seemed to be the safest option.

She looked at his confused face again and nodded her head with a grin. She knew he wouldn't understand, what was the point expecting him to. But she wasn't even angry at him for letting her down. How could she blame him, when she herself never understood her truest feelings, until this morning.

"No Dhruv, I am not upset or sad or angry or anything. For a change, I am at peace. I am actually happy they are getting married, they deserve to..they deserve each other. But that aside, I am just thinking about myself and my life so far. I have so much going on inside me, I don't even know what to say, how to express my feelings. May be there's no point discussing all this. Yeah.. Let's just forget it."

"No, I want to listen" Dhruv grabbed her wrist as she turned away from him

"No, I want to listen" Dhruv grabbed her wrist as she turned away from him. "Bolo, everything that's going on inside you.. I want to know.."

His eyes had the same genuine concern, they once used to have. And honestly, she did want someone to listen, may be not someone or anyone but him. She wanted him to taste the storm inside her and still it if he could. For some reason, she did want him to understand her.