Chapter 17

Weeks passed. Russell and Sal still saw each other at lunch every day, but they were never able to hang out after school anymore. Russell's new job kept him busy. It wasn't a big deal, since Sal was rarely able to see him outside of school anyway. ("My parents hate you," Russell explained. "They don't like us hanging out.") But Sal wished he could spend more time with his dearly beloved Rusty Russell.

One night, Sal saw an internet ad for a very important day approaching, causing him to dial Russell's number.

"Valentine's Day is coming up," Sal said, after exchanging the usual hellos.

"I hate Valentine's Day," Russell said. "It's a dumb, commercialized, over-hyped holiday that's an excuse for couples to show off their relationships and for singles to feel bad about being single. Who cares."

"Oh."

"Let's celebrate it." Russell's voice was cheerful, as if Sal's sad-sounding 'oh' had changed his feelings on the subject.

Sal couldn't help but smile as he flopped onto his bed. "What should we do?"

"Whatever you want."

Sal picked at a thread on his comforter. "Everywhere is going to be crowded. I want to go somewhere where there aren't any people."

Russell agreed. "There's this park we could go to, that's in walking distance of my house. Maybe you could come over after school, and we can go there."

"And why would I ever want to go to your house again?" Sal asked. "Especially since your parents hate me."

"To kill a couple hours until it's time to go. I want to leave around sunset. It'll be more... romantic."

Valentine's Day, after school, Sal went straight to Russell's house. Russell's mother was in the family room, watching TV. Everyone exchanged hellos, though there was an awkwardness between Sal and Elizabeth.

"I just remembered," Elizabeth said right as they were about to leave the room. "You got something in the mail. From Harvard." She picked an envelope up from a pile of mail, and handed it to him.

Russell stared at the front of the thin envelope, and turned it around. Elizabeth had her hands clasped, appearing far more interested in the results than Russell himself. And Russell opened the envelope, pulling out a folded sheet of paper. He unfolded it slowly, and scanned through its contents with a neutral expression.

"Well?" Elizabeth asked. "Did you get in?"

For a split second, Sal caught a flash of what might have been fear in Russell's eyes. As though he were afraid to answer the question. But he couldn't have been too afraid, for he shook his head, and handed her the letter. "I didn't get in."

Sal thought Elizabeth looked more disappointed than Russell, though it was hard to tell what Russell was feeling.

"I'm sorry." Elizabeth stood up, and gave Russell a hug.

"Me too." Sal gave him a pat on the shoulder.

"They're missing out on a great student," Elizabeth said. "But there's other good schools. Maybe Princeton will accept you. Or Stanford. You could continue living with us if you go to Stanford. It would be a bit of a commute, but it'll save a lot of money. Doesn't that sound nice?"

"Yeah," Russell said, sounding relieved about something.

* * * * *

Once the two boys entered Russell's room, Russell closed the door. The sinking feeling in his stomach was still there. He had disappointed his parents by not getting into Harvard. And worse- part of him felt happy about it, and secretly hoped he didn't get into any of those other universities. The thought of law school put him in an anxious state.