Bonus - Epilogue

Sal flopped down on their bed, which was just a full-sized mattress on the floor, pushed up against one of the corners of their studio apartment. But Sal was used to mattresses on floors. He was going to bring home a used mattress, free, but Russell went straight to the nearest mattress store, lecturing him on the horrors of bed bugs.

Russell sat in a second-hand chair in front of a second-hand desk, textbook opened, pen in hand. He had complained about having to buy their furniture second-hand, but the mattress already took out a chunk of their savings. New furniture would cost more than their monthly income. It was a good thing Russell had chosen to go to a community college first, then would transfer to the university later, to save money. He had made that decision months ago, but didn't have the heart to tell Sal until his first day of class. Russell also decided to go to school part time, so he'd have more time to work at the pizza parlor down the street. Living on their own turned out being more expensive than either of them had anticipated, even with their combined income.

Sal checked the time. "Don't you have to wake up for class in 7 hours?"

"I also have to have this essay finished in 7 hours," Russell said.

"And you're just now starting it?"

"I've been at work all day."

"You could've done it yesterday." 

Russell frowned over at Sal. "I was going to, but you dragged me to a pet store to look at cats."

"I want a cat."

"We can't afford a cat."

"I know," Sal mumbled, his thoughts on Mouser. According to Brenda, the cat rarely left his old room, which would soon be occupied by another foster child. It was weird, thinking about his old room being inhabited by someone else. But he was happy for whoever lived in it next. Sal couldn't imagine better foster parents, who seemed more like his real parents. He still missed his biological mother, but he figured he always would.

"Maybe after I get my degree." Russell opened a new word document on Sal's computer, which Tyler had let him keep, and started typing.

"If we last that long, can we get married?"

"If?" Russell turned around to look at Sal. "Of course we'll last that long. I'm taking your last name though."

"Good. Our future daughter will thank you."

"Son," Russell said.

"Daughter." Sal yawned. "I'm going to bed. I have to go to work early tomorrow."

"The light won't bother you, will it?"

"No, I'm fine."

Russell gave Sal a half smile. "You're fine alright."

Blushing, Sal crawled under their few blankets, his stuffed kangaroo in arm. He had tried sleeping without it for a couple nights, but felt guilty for leaving it to fend for itself in the dark confines of the closet. Russell thought Sal's concerns were cute.

They didn't have much, and lived paycheck-to-paycheck, but they had each other. And, for them, that was all that mattered.