Chapter 34

"It's really him?" a woman standing next to Elizabeth asked. Russell took in her straight, brown hair curled at the tips of her shoulders, and crinkled his nose. Abigail was his mother's closest church friend, and just as pleasant.

"That's him alright." His mother narrowed her eyes. "Thanks for calling me."

"No problem. I thought you had the right to know about the sins your son has been committing." Abigail stared at Russell with a pitiful expression. "You of all people? You used to be such a good, Christian boy."

"He's been out of control lately." His mother gave him a stern look that Russell used to cower at. But Russell didn't cower. He wasn't afraid, or anxious. For once, his thumbnail was nowhere near his mouth.

"Don't worry too much," Abigail said. "My oldest went through a rebellious phase too. Of course, he never went as far as to kiss boys, but he grew out of it in the end. Your Russell will too."

"He better." His mother gave him that look again. "We'll discuss this later. Come on." She turned around to walk back up the hill of sand.

Russell gritted his teeth. The grave reality of what happened hit him. Abigail had seen him with Sal, and called his mother to tell her. But she wasn't even sure it was him. So his mother drove to this beach to check. Like how she checked every other little thing in his life. How she never let him have a life. He remembered begging to hang out with Sal. He was pressured into pursuing a career he didn't want. Not to mention how he had to hide his interests, and was never able to express himself. A burning sensation spread through his chest.

"No."

His mother whipped around. "Excuse me?"

"I said no."

Abigail's eyes darted between Russell and his mother. Sal stared at the scene with his mouth flopped open.

"Stop playing games. Come with me."

The burning within grew stronger. Going home with her was the last thing Russell planned on doing, but he needed to go to the parking lot anyway. So he followed her, Sal's hand in his. Abigail's nose twitched as she brought up the rear. Russell had a feeling she was secretly enjoying the drama. Knowing her, it was why she ratted him out.

Once they reached the parking lot, Russell sat in the driver's seat of the Civic. He stuck the key in the ignition, and shoved on his socks. His feet were still covered in sand, but he didn't waste time brushing them off. The discomfort of having sandy feet was preferable to the discomfort of his mother's sharp glare.

Sal remained standing outside of the car, looking at Russell with a dazed expression.

"What are you doing?" his mother asked.

"Going with Sal," Russell said, staring back at Sal. Sal seemed to have returned to reality, and got in the passenger's seat.

His mother glanced at Abigail, who watched in interest. She lowered her voice. "Stop making such a scene, and come home with me."

"No." Russell slid one of his shoes on. His mother made a grab for his arm, but he swatted it away, and slid on his other shoe. "I'm 18. I don't need your permission."

"I'm your mother and-"

Russell turned his body to face her. "You're not my mother. I don't have a mother!"

His mother, or Elizabeth, as Russell decided to start calling her, glanced over at Abigail again. In a hushed tone, she said, "I am your mother and-"

"If you were really my mother, you would be accepting of me and my relationship, instead of acting like it's this big, shameful thing." Unlike Elizabeth, Russell spoke loudly.