NINE ~ TRIXY

*unedited*

Sentari met us at the top of the stairs. Unable to take Padma's spear, Ray pried a metal tooth from the dragon. Everyone marveled at it, praising Ray. Rige was very upset about the whole ordeal.

"Little bastard," she kept muttering, her eyes flashing. I warned Padma not to talk to Rige, and thank the gods she actually listened to me. I felt, given any reason, Rige would explode, and I did not want Padma to get the brunt of it.

Sentari was leaning against the wall and eyed the three of us when we emerged. Her eyes jumped from Padma to Rige to me. She inclined her head to us, a sign of acknowledgement.

"Good work, Markay," she said, the only person to congratulate Rige. Rige straightened, holding her head a little higher. A shocked look still locked onto her face. "Why so surprised? I watched the entire Trial. I was not going to allow any of you to die. I planned to step in before that happened. Consider me a nursemaid."

Rige, Padma and I stepped aside as the other initiates surged forwards. Sentari offered no congratulation to Ray. In fact, she never even glanced in his direction.

"Attention!" she yelled over the noise of the other initiates. "We will shortly be joined by the Captain of the Guard, Sari Youn. He will discuss with me and we will make another round of cuts. Those dismissed will gather their things and leave immediately. If you refuse, you will not be treated with kindness. Those left will begin serious training. With only one Trial left, I suggest you focus on the tasks ahead." She glared at Ray, who scowled in her direction. "This is no time to be dwelling on past victories or failures. From here on out, you must want this with every fiber of your being to make it."

Sentari abruptly stopped, stiffening, her spine snapping straight, and inclined her head. We turned to fins Sari Youn watching us all. We froze, not knowing what exactly to do. We were never taught how to greet the King's brother, so an awkward silence filled the space.

"From Arük, Rayard Stewatt and Trixintha Ryder. From Cradl, Lanai Wek and Deman Nitz. From Dre, Annala Hary and Vrie Urq. From Ire, Rige Markay and Usta Caire. From Luuk, Padma Perrar and Nven Lak. From Omr, Bansh Quel and Willma Baley. From Pir, Helt Moore and Shansy Val. From Rïg, Fani Kite and Mumbo Tisker. From Spïr, Olma Fier and Qenzi Oura. These initiates will continue on. All others will leave."

"S-Sir-" Sentari protested as Sari made to leave.

"That is who will stay, Sevenson."

"Yes, sir."

Sari left and we stared after him. Then Rige grinned. A girl, supposedly Nven, came over and clasped Padma's shoulder. I glared at Ray. He was only here because he finished Rige's job.

"Those of you not named, please collect your things. I will summon some guards to meet you at the gates of Omr. Thank you for your participation." Sentari stalked off, clearly annoyed.

"How did he know our names?" Padma asked to no one in particular. Rige shrugged.

"Maybe he has a list?" she suggested.

"Sentari seemed upset," I observed.

"Perhaps because she and Sari were supposed to make the decision together and he did not even ask her opinion," Padma offered.

"I know I would be upset," Rige muttered.

"And besides, it is obvious why he knew my name. I want to know how he knew  nobody such as yourself," Ray drawled, strolling over. Rige lunged but Padma and I held her back just in time.

"Ray, leave," I ordered. He opened his mouth to argue but stopped when Padma released the hand holding Rige in warning. Rige shot one more loathing-filled look in Ray's direction before stalking off towards the initiates' quarters. I sighed and Padma jerked her chin after Rige.