Chapter 28

Billie's POV

"Billie, wake up," Adie says, shaking me. "Nah thanks," I mumble into the pillow. "Billie, seriously. Social services is going to be here soon," Adie states more firmly this time. "Mhm." She sighs and pulls the covers completely off of Chelsea and I. Chelsea lifts her head up and we bump heads. "OW!" we exclaim simultaneously. Adie rolls her eyes and laughs. "As cute as you two are, everyone has to get ready. Social services decided to make a surprise visit at nine. Billie, you have to wake up the boys," she tells me. "Chelsea, you get your first chore," I chirp. Adie glares at me and I quickly say, "Never mind. I am actually gonna go wake up the boys. Just get ready?" I ask Adie with my eyes if that's what she wanted. She nods and Chelsea goes upstairs to get ready.

"So, where'd you take Chelsea last night?" Adie politely questions. "To the field...y'know, the one my dad used to take me to.... Adie? Y'know I love you, right?" I soften the mood. "What did you do?" she sighs. "I didn't do anything...I was just thinking, what if we did something for Chelsea? Y'know? Her birthday is coming up, and...I don't know. She needs something to get her mind off of the case and her father's death—" I began. "Spill! What are you trying to say?" she laughs, sitting next to me on the couch. "I think I'm gonna teach her how to surf for her birthday, and I needed to know if you think it's a good idea?" I nervously inquire.

"I think that's a great idea! She needs to get her mind off of things, and the boys need to get to know her better. Speaking of which, you need to go wake them up," she adds. I sigh and kiss her lovingly before going upstairs to wake the two sleeping beasts. I first go into Jakob's room and shake him, and he groans angrily. "Jake, come on. You've gotta get up and get ready," I order him politely. "Why-y-y?!" he complains, standing up and kicking me out of his room to get ready. Next, I enter Joey's room and lightly shake him. "Joey, you've gotta get up," I coo softly. "Nah thanks," he mumbles into his pillow. It's like I have a damn copy of myself, I think. "Seriously, you have to," I tell him. "Fine," he growls before shoving me out of his room.

I walk into my room to get ready and do the usual procedure: brush my hair and teeth, straighten my hair, apply my eyeliner, and get dressed. There's a knock at the bedroom door and I open it, only to see Chelsea. "Hey, kid! You need something?" I ask happily. "Well, yes, but I kind of want you to say no," she answers, staring at the ground. "C'mon! You can ask me anything!" I persuade her. She takes a quick breath, "Can you teach me to play guitar?" A large smile forms on my face before I happily scream, "OF COURSE I WOULD! I'd love to! Why were you so nervous to ask me?! That's a fantastic idea. I mean, I was gonna eventually teach you anyways, but yes! I'd love to teach you to play!"

"Really? You mean that?"

"Of course I do! Chelsea, you're practically my daughter, and I'm gonna make sure you learn."

"Okay."

"I'm gonna finish getting ready, and you...uh...do whatever you'd like."

"Mhm."

She leaves the doorway, hiding a smile on her face. I close the bedroom door, still processing everything she said to me. Adie walks into our room and looks at me. "What?" I ask her, holding her hand and looking into her eyes. "I mean, it's just a thought, but maybe you shouldn't wear eyeliner in front of social services," she giggles. "I wore it last time and it was fine. But, if it really makes you feel better, I'll go take it off," I concede. I get up and go straight to the bathroom to wipe of my eyeliner, as I said I would. The doorbell rings and Adie says, "I'll go answer it, you make sure that the kids are ready."

I nod and she quickly leaves the room while I dart into Joey's room. He's lying down on his bed - fully dressed and ready - playing games on his phone. "Joey, social services is here, so just act like you and Chelsea are best friends and you know everything about each other," I tell him. "What's in it for me?" he smirks. I hand him twenty bucks and he says, "Oh yeah, I know Chelsea, but we're not exactly friends." I hand him a ten dollar bill and sigh. "Hmm...Me and Chelsea are aquatinted, but again, we aren't exactly friends," he announces. "Joseph, here is a fifty," I hand him a fifty dollar bill and add, "Act like you two are best friends, got it?" "Chelsea and I are like brother and sister," he finally says. "Thank you," I state, leaving his room and walking into to Jake's. I'm surprised to see him and Chelsea talking and slight laughter coming from Chelsea. They both turn their heads to me and I tell them, "Social services are here, so just be calm and ready." "Okay, Dad," Jake says.