Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

KRIS POV

It’s been a week since she left. It’s also been a week since I locked myself in my room. I just want to be alone. I know that this is not the most sensible thing to do. My parents are worried. Lexi and Rick are frantically trying to call me. Everyone is going out of their minds but honestly, I just don’t care. Nobody matters anymore. The only person that matters to me more than anything or anyone is now gone. I'm not suicidal or anything. I just want time to stand still and for everything else to stop moving because I myself can't move. I don't want to move from where I am now. 

MR. MARTIN POV

I'm worried about Kris. He is not the type to open up about his problems. Kay Joyce lang niya nagagawa yun. I don't know what to do to reach out to him. Alam ko na galit din siya sa akin. I feel so helpless.  

Mrs. Martin: Dad, I’m worried about our son. He doesn’t want to talk to me. Kahit kina Lexi and Derrick ayaw niya.  Subukan mo naman siya kausapin.

Mr. Martin: Alam mo, I’m not exactly his most favorite person in the world. I’m pretty sure he blames me for everything. Hindi ko din naman siya masisi kasi malaki din naman ang kasalanan ko sa kanilang dalawa ni Joyce. Pero I’ll give it my best, hon. I’ll talk to him.  

Sa unang pagkakataon, hindi ko alam ang sasabihin ko sa anak ko. Alam ko na isa ako sa mga dahilan kung bakit umalis si Joyce. Kumatok ako sa pinto.

Mr. Martin: Kris? Anak? Pwede ba tayo mag-usap?

It took a while before he opened the door.  

Kris: Wala po tayong dapat pag-usapan. What’s the use? Wala na si Joyce. Umalis na siya. Yun naman ang gusto mo diba?

Mr. Martin: Kris, just hear me out. You don’t have to say anything. Please, just hear me out.

He went to stand by the window. Nakatalikod sa akin. But it’s fine. As long as he listens.

Mr. Martin: I’m so sorry anak. I misjudged Joyce. I was so wrong about her… About two weeks ago she came here sa bahay. Kinausap niya kami ng mommy mo. She apologized for everything. She explained her side. She also told us how much she loves you. And also to say goodbye.

Kris: What?! You knew about her leaving and you didn’t even tell me?! Alam niyo na aalis siya and hinayaan niyo na lang? i could have stopped her from leaving kung sinabi niyo sa akin! Pero bakit mo nga naman sasabihin diba? Eh gusto mo nga na magkahiwalay kami. 

Mr. Martin: Listen Kris. At that time…

Kris: Why are you telling me all these now? What’s the point? Umalis na siya dad. And I don’t know where to find her. I don’t even know if magkikita pa kami ulit! So if you don’t mind, just leave me alone.

I stepped out of his room. There’s no way that Kris will listen to me in his present state of mind.

MRS. MARTIN POV

Narining ko kung gaano kagalit si Kris sa daddy niya. What are the chances that he’ll listen to me? But I have to try somehow.

Mrs. Martin: Kris? Anak? I brought you something to eat. Kainin mo na to. Sige na.

Kris: Iwan niyo na lang po. I’m not hungry.

Mrs. Martin: Kris, alam ko mahirap ang pinagdadaanan mo ngayon. But life doesn’t stop here. You have to try to get over this. You have to get up in the morning. You have to go through the day. This isn’t what Joyce would want for you. She has her reasons for leaving na maaaring  hindi mo pa maiintindihan sa ngayon. But you have to hold on to the belief that she will come back. I saw in her eyes how much she loves you. I felt it in her words. That’s why I believe na magkikita kayo one way or another, sooner or later, whether it’s by accident, by fate or planned.  So look forward to that day instead of dwelling on the hurts of the past… Nahihirapan na din kami ng daddy mo na makita kang ganito. Sige na anak, you have to try... for us... for Joyce...

For the first time in so many years, I saw my son cry. I hugged him with all the motherly love I can give.

Kris: Ma, nahihirapan po talaga ako. Ang sakit sakit ng nararamdaman ko! I love her so much. Kasalanan ko kung bakit siya umalis. Hindi ikaw, hindi si daddy. Ako! I have no one else to blame but myself and my stupid pride. And now, what am I left with? Wala! I miss her so much. What if hindi na kami magkita? I can’t bear the thought. I just can’t bear it...

Naaawa ako sa anak ko. I just let him cry. Then I saw my husband in the doorway. Like me he also felt our son’s pain. And like me, he can’t stand seeing our son going through so much hurt. Knowing my husband, he will do something to make things right. Then he turned and walked away

MR. MARTIN POV

Seeing my son cry was more than enough for me. I know what I have to do. For my son’s sake…

Mr. Martin: (Talking on his cellphone) Antonio? Si Rodolfo ito. Please set me up on a meeting with Ricardo. May kailangan kami pag-usapan.  Yes, it’s about the case. At tungkol na rin sa mga bata... …