4. runners

Angelina ~ Parker

I woke up with The Greenie and Minho carrying me into the glade. My feet dragged on the floor while my eyes opened and closed. I had no strength and just couldn't move. I wanted to rest, but I also wanted to know what happened. As soon as we got out, they set me down and took a break. Newt ran up to me, kneeling. He spread my eyelids open and examined my body.

"If you didn't get stung what happened?" He paused and looked at the Greenie. "And what were you thinking Shank!?"

"Cool it, Newt. He's the only reason she made it out alive." Minho said while panting.

My eyes finally made up their minds and decided to close for good.

Greenie ~ Thomas

No one realized she passed back out till she fell over. Frypan helped Newt carry her to the med-jacks.

Parker wouldn't wake up but she was alive. The bruise looked as if a boulder hit her in the face and Minho said he couldn't find her notepad or her knife. She would've been lost out there. That brought my attention to Ben.

"You saw a Griever?" Chuck asked looking down at us.

"Yeah, I saw one." I panted.

"He didn't just see it. He killed it." Minho finished looking at me. Newt returned to the group.

"Meeting. Now!" Alby yelled.

Everyone shouted questions at Newt and Alby. Keepers filed in, one after the other.

"Quiet down!" Minho yelled.

"Things are changing. There's no denying that," Gally began. "First, a girl shows up in the glade, saying she remembers everything but can't talk. Then, our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze." He said pointing to me. "Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Yeah, but he saved Parker's life," Frypan added.

"Why does that matter?" Newt eyed him with hate but allowed him to speak. "For three years, we have coexisted with these... things, and now you've killed one of them. Who knows what that means for us?"

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Newt asked, leaning on a support beam. It probably wasn't the best idea because the place was falling apart.

"He has to be punished." People erupted in chatter.

"Oh, come on, Gally!" Chuck said.

"He killed a griever!" said a boy next to him.

"Minho," Newt began. "You were there with him, what do you think?"

"I think in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Parker who may be our one chance of getting out of here." Alby sat in the background, allowing the conversation to continue. It seemed like he hadn't chosen a side yet. "Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid but whatever it is, we need more of it." He paused. "I say, we make him a runner. Along with Parker." People began to chatter again.

"She almost died out there!" Zart hollered.

"She can't show us the way out from here, now can she?"

"Hey, if you wanna throw the newbies a parade, that's fine!" Gally interrupted. "But if there's one thing I know about the maze, it is that you do not break the rules!"

"Awe, hush it, Gally!" Alby spoke. "I'm tired of this! It's clear here that whatever he did today, is a step from anything we've done- ever!" People nodded as he spoke. "Not only did he risk his life for our one shot at an escape, he risked his life for the person who you all call a friend, the same person who knows the maze and could run it with his eyes closed, Minho."