9. scream

The next morning I was up and energetic - ready to run. I woke Thomas up and we headed to Fry's to pack a lunch. He sat with us and made a joke about his food. We were mid laughing when Minho joined us.

"Ya know you two shanks look a lot alike." He laughed taking a piece of Thomas' food. Thomas looked to me, wide-eyed as ever.

"That's it! What if we're brother and sister!" I shook my head laughing as if saying no way. "That would explain why I want to protect you but don't like you in a love way." Minho's face scrunched up.

"What in the-"

"No, it makes sense! We look alike, we act alike, I recognized you the day you got here-"

"That would've been helpful to know." Minho chimed in, rolling his eyes.

"Check the tablet! It shows blood type right?" I nodded, searching in my bag for the thing. I turned it on and checked Thomas first. AB-. I scrolled down to the bottom of the list and slowly clicked on my name.

What if I was Thomas's sister? Would that change everything? Would it make things weird? The only way we could've been separated is if he said Wicked is good. That's the only way we could've been separated.

When I was a kid I remembered being left with Ratman. They ran tests on us and made us do things- train. Then they would make us say things like Wicked is good. I refused. I'd always known of Wicked's evil ways. They're all a bunch of crazy scientists.

I read it to myself before allowing Thomas to see. AB-

"I knew it!" I shook my head in disbelief. Siblings don't even need to have the same blood type. Thomas just wanted something to hold onto.

"That doesn't mean it's a total match, shank." Minho laughed. "Could be a coincidence."

"Its close enough for me." He shrugged and smiled at me before giving me a hug. I didn't hug back. I didn't know how to feel.

After breakfast, Minho and Thomas want to check on Alby. I headed to the washroom.

The glade was quiet. Everyone was asleep.

I lifted my shirt to check the bruise only to see that it had gotten worse. The veins looked darker and the bruise was almost black. I shrugged it off hoping it would heal soon.

"That looks pretty bad, Greenie," Gally said appearing in the doorway. I rolled my eyes and tried to walk past him but he wouldn't let me. He grabbed me by the shoulders. "Ya know, I think you're holding out on me. I bet if I hit the right spot, I can make you scream." It was then that he pulled out a knife and held it to my throat. I squirmed, not completely in pain but desperate to get away.

I wanted to scream. More than anything I wanted to call for someone. Depending on myself, I grabbed the blade with one hand and shoved Gally's hand away with the other. I backed away holding the knife in a ready-to-stab position. As soon as I saw a clear shot for the door I darted. It wasn't long before he caught up and grabbed my ankle, causing me to fall.

Using his hands he turned my ankle- almost like when guys, in movies, snap other guys' necks. A silent scream escaped my lips but in my head, it sounded so real.

"Now you keep your mouth shut, and Newt won't have another 'incident'," I grunted in pain, holding my ankle, slowly trying to get back up.

He pushed me back down and kicked me in my stomach, right where the bruise sat.

"I'm kinda surprised. Not a peep." He glared down at me. Altogether the world grew black. "We belong to the maze."

Thomas

Minho and I checked on Alby. He was doing okay but Minho decided it was time to go. After looking around for a while we couldn't find Angelina. I was instructed to find Newt and see if she was there but she wasn't. Only a sleepy Newt who jumped up the second I told him we couldn't find her. We walked around the glade till Minho spotted something on the ground. We all ran towards it, seeing it was her.

"Bloody hell," Newt said examining her. "Minho, get Clint and Jeff up now." He took off. "Tommy, help me lift her up." Together we picked her up and I held her bridal style carrying her to the beds. Her ankle was nearly backward.

"Newt- her foot." He looked at it, lifting up the bottom of her pant leg. By the time we reached the Med-jacks, Clint and Jeff stood waiting. They checked out her ankle and found a huge bruise on her stomach.

"Is that where Ben kicked her?"

"Possibly, it looks bad though so it's possible she was hit again. She might have a fractured rib. Her ankle is definitely broken but she'll live." The keeper spoke while his friend laid a damp rag on her forehead.

"Whoever did this doesn't want us leaving the maze." Minho sighed. "She was gonna get us out of here."

"Well she showed us where to go," I added.

"That's true, but we can't just leave her here," Newt said.

"But she'll slow us down that's for sure." Minho finished, staring down at her.

Newt bit his lip looking down at her with a blank expression. "We need to find out who did this." He stormed out after checking on Alby who laid still in his bed. He was getting better but he was still out of it.

I caught up with Newt who was waking every Glader and their mother up with his loud cursing.

"Newt, I'm sure you already know who did this," I said to him while he shook Chuck awake.

"Yeah, but we can't accuse him without a fair trial." He said without even looking at me. "Bill, you seen Gally?" He said to a boy I hadn't met yet.

"No, he got up early as a runner."