Chapter Thirty Eight: The Clouds Burst

It has come! The Battle of the Five Armies! Finally! I've been so excited to write these parts because they're my favorite part of the movie. I hope you guys are just as excited to read it. Before you read, though, know that this chapter is based off the extended edition of BOTFA. There was so much in the extended edition that makes the story even better, and I decided I would add it in. Enjoy :)

The sun rose over the distant hills and cast a pure white light upon what would have been a field of grasses and rock leading to the mountain. On this morning, it was a field of elven soldiers with armor that reflected the light and filled me with an anxiety that I'd never felt before. In the middle there was the small square of Lake-town survivors, forming their own kind of militia of fishermen. Compared to the skill and sophistication of Thranduil's army, they were nothing more than a feeble presence. However that didn't compare to the utter hopelessness of the situation on the outer ramparts of Erebor, a hopelessness that only Bilbo and I seemed to feel.

I watched from high up as Thranduil and Bard emerged from the formation of soldiers, each of the elves strategically moving from their spots and returning to it as the leaders passed. Thranduil's steed was his noble elk while Bard's was a snow white mare. They both approached the gates of Erebor with their heads held high, ready for whatever events were about to occur.

I stood near the back with Bilbo, my height compensating for my distance from the edge of the rampart. As we waited for whatever was about to happen, I adjusted my armor, which Balin had convinced me to put on. It was little more than an uncomfortable variety of whatever pieces could fit me, but it made Balin feel better about my safety, so I wore it.

I must not have been paying attention, because before I knew it, Thorin had drawn his bow and shot an arrow at the feet of Thranduil's elk.

Instinctively I took a step forward, gasping as I found myself worrying that it had hit Thranduil, but I soon reigned myself in. What did I care if the man who had banished me got shot with an arrow?

Bofur mistook my step forward as a need to see what was going on and made room for me to stand by him. I took the offer, casting my worried gaze downwards.

Thorin nocked another arrow and yelled down a threat to Thranduil. "I'll put the next one between your eyes!"

The company, already eager for the imminent fight, cheered at Thorin's violent encouragement, even taking the opportunity to throw in their own threats. Meanwhile I found myself frowning down at Bard and my father, an expression of sadness on my face. This was not the same company I had travelled with for so many months. These battle ready dwarves were not the kind souls who had shared a meaningful journey with me. I hardly recognized them.

Thranduil's response to Thorin's threat was a smirk. Following the silent cue, every one of the soldiers behind him expertly nocked their own arrows in a display of deadly artistry, aiming for the ramparts above.

The entirety of the company, except for me and Thorin, ducked beneath the rampart wall, their jeering instantaneously silenced. Thorin stared at Thranduil, refraining from speaking or moving. Thranduil took this as the sign that Thorin knew who had won that battle, and the army lowered their bows.

There was another moment of tense silence before Thranduil spoke again.

"We have come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered," Thranduil called up to him, the smirk returning. "And accepted."

Thorin looked a little disconcerted, his bow still raised.

"What payment?" he demanded angrily. "I gave you nothing. You have nothing."