Scroll 09

"How could the Queen Dowager do this to us? After making us wait for so many hours, she only got a eunuch to send us away?" Jiyeon vented out her anger as they walked their way back to their quarters. "Say something, will you two? Am I talking to a wall?"

"Calm down, calm down," Joy said. "We have already waited, what's done is already done."

They arrived at their quarter, with Jiyeon entering first. After that, she turned and faced them.
"You," She pointed at Minkyung. "Go get a basin of water. I want to soak my feet."

"You can't do this. She is not your maid." Joy stood up for Minkyung. After all this while, she couldn't stand on Jiyeon's constant bullying on Minkyung anymore. It is very clear that Jiyeon has some prejudice against Minkyung for some unknown reason since she only picked on Minkyung. So, since Joy had long considered Minkyung as her only friend in the palace, it is only right that she spoke up for her when she is being bullied.

"Why can't I? Don't you know that she is from a middle-class family background? She is just one level higher than those peasants, so of course, I can order her. Like a maid." Jiyeon said with arrogance, specifying the last three words.

So that's the reason... Joy looked at Jiyeon in disgust.

"Why does it matter if you are of high family status or low family status? So what if you are from a noble family? So what if you are from a middle-class family? Everyone should be treated fairly." Joy voiced out, feeling her blood boiling at the same time. Minkyung tugged her sleeve to make her stop.

"Who are you to lecture me?" Jiyeon took one step closer towards Joy and looked at her with glaring big eyes. "Why? Do you want to do her job instead?"

"Stop fighting," Minkyung shouted before she lowered her voice. "I will do whatever you say." A single tear slipped off from her eye.

Jiyeon smirked. Joy turned and looked at Minkyung. "You don't have to do this."

Minkyung shook her head slightly. Joy could do nothing but gave in. "I will help you then." She offered.

Minkyung and Joy poured some lukewarm water into a wooden basin together.
"Why didn't you retaliate? You shouldn't let Jiyeon have her way," Joy said. "She will only continue, thinking that she is right."

"What can I do? She is right, I'm from the middle-class. Being here is already a privilege to me." Minkyung replied softly as she sprinkled some rose petals into the basin of water. Her expression showed a hint of sadness but it disappeared away quickly.

"Why does status matters so much here? We should be judged basely on a person's character and attitude, not on their family background. What's good if the person came from a good family background but have a bad attitude towards others?"

Minkyung stopped what she's doing. "Are you not from Joseon?"

This startled Joy. She widened her eyes and stared at Minkyung in consternation. "What? What are you saying?"  Did she know? Is the secret out?

"You do know how family status matters a lot in Joseon, don't you? The family background comes before anything, so whatever you say...is impossible." Minkyung forced a small smile and returned back to doing her work.

Joy let out a small relief. She thought Minkyung have caught on to the fact that she is not from Joseon. But luckily, she just merely touched on the truth by accident.