Chapter 3 - Taming the beast (pov Nick)

I didn't know what was wrong with me on that day. Saying sorry to her was kind of relieving but now I was understanding how much of an asshole I've been to her, it hit me ten times harder than I thought it would. I knew that she wasn't mad at me about this anymore, but now I had shown her this side of me, I just wanted to be alone.

I ran to my bedroom on the first floor and locked the door behind me. Then I looked out of the window to see what she was up to.

I had left the main door open on purpose and as I thought, she was following me. The fire was still burning slightly, the police car was still standing outside the house but Judy was nowhere to be seen.

Then I heard her footsteps on the ground-floor below me.

"Nick?" she yelled through the house.

Then there was the sound of doors opening and closing again.

"Nick, where are you? I know you're sorry but so am I!"

Now she was slowly walked up the stairs, still talking to me because she knew I was listening.

"I shouldn't have told you this story, I should have known that it would hurt you..."

For a moment I thought about answering, maybe open the door and talk to her again but the fact that she had seen my crying was so embarrassing that I decided to let it be. Instead I was sighing a little, not expecting her to hear it, but she did.

Now she was talking directly through the door with me and there was no other way out of this other than facing it.

"I don't really want to talk about that topic anymore..." she stated. "Maybe it was good that we talked about this once... And now that everything, there was to say, is said we can totally forget about it. Come on, Nicholas!"

Silently like a fox, pun intended, I sneaked towards the door making a halt before grabbing the Key to the lock.

"Please leave me alone, Judy!"

"No, I won't! I want to talk to you like adults and put this topic behind us once and for all!"

"I'm a monster Judy! I don't want to hurt you again!"

"You're not a monster, I'm not scared of you! Open the goddamn door now!"

Now that she was passively forcing me to face it, a bit of anger started building up inside me. Not against her, more against myself for being such a coward. I don't know if it was the mix of emotions which made me act like this, but I did, and it was not a good idea.

I slammed the door open violently against the wall and tried to scare her with a loud growl and showed her my claws but it didn't work. She just sighed a little and folded her arms.

"Nick come on, snap out of it! I told you, I'm not scared..."

I didn't know what to do, to make this situation go away so I started walking towards her slowly and growled a little louder.

"I'm serious, I cannot stand myself right now and I don't want to..." – I got a punch to the face that made me fly through the door and land on my back, hard. The sudden impact changed my mood from anger to confusion in seconds and I realized what I was doing to her again.

While I was trying to scare her she jumped to the wall behind her with a backflip and used it to push herself away and gain speed in my direction, and then kick me in the face with one of her feet. The amount of force she managed to hit me with, was enough to make my jaw hurt pretty noticeably and I started rubbing my paws against it.

"Hope that helps a little..." she stated before walking right up to me and staring into my eyes with a small but heartwarming grin.

"Ouch!"

I shook myself a little to get all of my senses working correctly again and I tried to lift myself off of the floor.

"It helped a lot, thanks Judy" I whispered as she lend me a paw to get up on my feet again.

"I'm sorry for that. I was stressed and I didn't know what to do and..." she placed a finger on my lips to stop me from talking even more nonsense.

"Shut up, I never want to hear that again! I know you're sorry for everything and I quite believe it. But that topic is history now and nobody will ever care about that anymore. I want that smooth and charming fox boy back that I learned to understand and to love. The one with the mischievous smile and the cool patters all day..."

"You're right..." I interrupted her carefully. "...it was childish to run away from it. I'll promise to never even think about this again. I'm sorry, carrots."

She was nearly swiping me off of my feet for the second time that night, as I finished saying that, but this time it was because she jumped into my arms and started hugging me tightly.

"That's what I wanted to hear!"

I hugged her back not knowing what else to do and as we were releasing each other I kept staring into those wonderful purple eyes of hers which brought so much joy and energy back to me that I wouldn't be able to hide it, even if I tried to.

"Follow me there are nicer places to be than a room with blood on the floor" I suggested before I took her paw and led her out of the room.

After the kick to my face I landed on my back pretty hard. And just by chance there was this one nail, which I wanted to fix for like a month, standing out from the wooden floor by nearly an inch and of course I landed directly on it. The nail jabbed itself into my back and tore it open by a few inches as I slid on the floor after Judy's attack. The sudden rush of adrenaline from the events and everything else kept me from thinking about it at first, but now that I was calming down a little it started hurting pretty bad. Off course I tried to play it off, not wanting her to feel bad about it but it was impossible to hide a my wincing expression as the wound started burning and the blood running down my back left a cold feeling on the skin beneath my fur.

"There is WHAT on the floor?!" she asked in shock while she tried to walked around me looking for any injuries, she didn't find one on my face but noticed that I was clenching my teeth in pain.

"It's nothing, Judy. Come on, let's get back outside and..."

"There was a nail on the floor?! Nick, show me your back, right now!" she ordered.

"It's fine, just a scratch!"

"Stupid fox, take that shirt off right now!"

Before I was able to reply anything she had ripped the back of it apart by the hole from the nail.

"Yeah, just a scratch...you need a fucking medic right now!"

"No, I don't! Some water and a patch will do. You're standing on my tail again, can you please...thank you!"

This was a good possibility to distract her, because as soon as she got off of my tail I headed for the bathroom and got into the shower.

Without checking the temperature, which I normally do, I got inside and let the cold water run down my back, trying to clean the wound as good as possible.

She followed me, shaking her head in disbelieve but not saying anything. She helped me by putting a big plaster on my back, preventing me from losing any more blood, and then, all of a sudden, she kissed me.

That made me forget the pain and the hectic instantly and I just kept enjoying this moment.

"I'm sorry for hurting you!" she whispered, after we had released each other.

"Well, revenge of the bunnies, I guess..." I said, smirking a little.

She handed one of the towels over to me and I started drying myself as well as possible.

"That was not my intention! I just wanted to..."

"I know! And I'm thankful for that!" I interrupted her before kissing her again.

"Come on, let's get back to the fire again, the heat will do the rest." I said, before throwing the towel onto the ground and pulling her with me carefully.

"I promised you a nice evening, so I have a lot to make up right now!"