The Start

Chapters will be short, usually no more than 500 words.

Giselle presses her lips together and musters another dose of patience. The servants had been flitting around her all morning helping her get ready for the coronation. Normally Giselle relished in having servants do her hair and paint her face, but today their incessant chattering is grates on her nerves. On top of it all, the seamstress has employed a new apprentice who has yet to learn that one must not tie a dress too tightly lest the customer pass out. Finally having enough, Giselle throws an impatient hand up to stop the servants; they hush instantly.

"Please leave. I would like to ruminate on the coming ascension."

A chorus of "yes ma'am" and "of course, your majesty" flitter about the room as the servants, seamstress, and apprentice leave. The room remains quiet, much to Giselle's delight, and she sinks into a chair--mindful of her dress--to get a little rest before being surrounded once more. Instead of relaxing completely, Giselle goes over what she will be able to accomplish her first few months in queenship. Roads need to be replaced in some of the outer cities, taxes need to be raised, the new library program also needs to be approved, and...oh, the king of Cordell is looking for a wife. The two had been flirting and brushing the edges of courtship recently, so perhaps Giselle would be able to score another kingdom and a husband. She grins, already imagining the ability to rule over two countries instead of one. Yakim and Cordell--or really just Yakim--would have the benefit of controlling two of the four Rhythm kingdoms, thus having the ability to heft a little more weight than usual.

Yes, that would be grand indeed.