VII.

"Bucky, this is completely hopeless," a warm laugh escaped from Gideon's lips, her cheeks painted red with a glowing blush. It was the fourth attempt of them dancing in unison to an upbeat record. Yet their attempts always faltered with a series of her feet colliding with his or her feet tripping over themselves.

"No, no, no, you've got it," he chuckled, trying to stifle a laugh, but even he couldn't conceal it.

"See, even you're laughing," she shook her head, chesnut curls following the motion in cascades.

"My apologies," he nodded with the grin still playing on his face, "You just need practice."

"I don't understand though. Connie and Gabe seem have caught on quite easily," she jokingly pouted with her gaze glancing over to their friends, Gabe being another soldier within the same regiment as him. Both the soldier and the med student paused to watch them twirl gracefully across the floor until Bucky turned to her.

"And you will too. Here, follow my lead," his smile softened. His hands took both of hers, one guiding hers to rest on his shoulder and the other to intertwine their fingers. Their touch sent electricity buzzing through out her nerves, and she didn't think she could ever get enough of it. They began to sway to the beat of the music, slowly, yet the pace started to pick up. "It helps to watch your feet," he advised.

They continued to dance, their hips swaying to the beat as one of his hands sat at her waist while his other held here, guiding them forward and back. But Gideon couldn't keep her eyes off of Bucky instead of her black heels. His ocean blue eyes and alluring smile drawed in her attention and wasn't letting go.

She didn't even know she staring for that long until he whispered, "You know, Gideon, maybe staring at me is more helpful instead because you haven't stepped on my feet once."

With her cheeks immediately flushing scarlett red, she responded, "Well James Buchanan Barnes, you are quite distracting."

"I could say the same about Miss Erskine," he smiled and held her closer, and even despite the changes of songs, they continued to sway at their own pace, their eyes never leaving each other's.

Time seemed as if didn't exist between them as they danced in the small bar. Even as the crowd of the bar winded down and Connie and Gabe said goodbye, neither Gideon not Bucky wanted to leave.

A slow song then hit the sound waves, and a smile lit up the sergeant's face."You'll like this song, Gideon. Have you ever slow danced before?"

She shook her head, yet on her, her features were arranged into an intrigued expression.

"I'm still surprise no one ever taught you," he shook his head and began to move their hands from their previous positions. "Yours go on my shoulders, and mine, go right here," he wrapped them around her waist.

Being within such a close proximity of him, their chests touching ever so slightly, sent her heart racing. Along with an accelerated heart beat, she felt warmth overtake them in the room, and she wouldn't have wanted it any differently.

They continued to rock slowly to the slow jazz ballad, sharing long glances that made her realize that she truly liked the soldier.

She lowered her head onto his chest as the song continued, her forehead just brushing his jawbone, while she wondered, "Is it selfish of me to say that I don't want you to go?"

"No," he answered, voice quiet, before resting his head upon hers, "Not at all."

For a moment, they just stood there, swaying slightly and enjoying it before the true realization set in.

And even as they did, she glanced up at him, "Promise me that you'll come back?"

"I promise," he smiled, "What would I ever be able to do with out seeing those pretty blue eyes of yours?"

That sparked another laugh to leave her lips, and he watched her face light up in awe.

"Will you promise me then to still write to me," he asked.

"Of course," she nodded.

Now, what she did next was unexpected. It was unexpected of her, and neither had expected it before it happened, but in that moment, it felt right.

"Can I give you something before you leave?"

"What?"

There was only a few inches that separated the two, and she closed it by rising to her tip toes. She pressed her lips lightly onto his and tipped her head back when he returned with soft pressure. Pulling apart in the slightest, she whispered against his skin, "For good luck."

This is my favorite chapter so far, I hope you love it too xx

-Ashley [6/25/16]