Chapter 21: The First Night

Katniss's POV

I didn't sleep much last night. I lean up and kiss Peeta on the cheek. He wakes up and looks at me. We both know what today is. We don't want to talk about it so we both keep quiet while we get dressed.

Right before we walk out of the room, Peeta pulls me close and wraps his arms around my waist in a hug. I dig my face into the crook of his neck. We both didn't want to let go, but eventually we did.

"I love you. Find me as quick as you can." He kisses me and then kisses my forehead. Tears slide down my cheeks.

"I love you." I whisper and grab his hand heading out of the room.

Breakfast is just as quiet. Effie gives Haymitch and Peeta their golden tokens.

"Any last advice?" Peeta asks Hyamitch.

"Stay alive." He says with a smile. Soon enough, we are heading to the arena on the plane. A women probably in her mid-twenties comes up to me with a familiar device. The device to inject my tracker. I look at Peeta next to me. His eyes are trained on me with fear. I nod trying to calm him, but I'm just as scared as he is.

We arrive and escorted down long corridors into private rooms that have our tubes in them. I walk over to the wall and sink down sitting on the floor. A few minutes later, Cinna walks in.

"There's my girl on fire."

"Yeah, here I am." I say with a slight smile. He helps me up and silence settles over the room.

"I'm still bidding on you." He puts my pin on me and hugs me.

"Four minutes" a voice from a speaker says. All of sudden, three peacekeepers burst into the room and hit Cinna over and over. I try to run over to him, but I'm pushed into the wall by one of the peacekeepers. I hit my head hard and instantly fall to the ground.

"Primrose, you look so much like your mother." My father tells my sister.

"How, daddy?" She asks.

"You both have blonde hair and blue eyes. You both are very pretty. You both love caring for people and animals. And you both love gardening."

"So, I look like you, daddy?" I ask.

"Yeah, you are definitely like me."

I only passed out for a few seconds before waking up, and in the dizziness, I see them dragging Cinna away. I immediately get up and scream his name. The peacekeepers force me into my tube. I eventually give up and stand there a second before I begin to rise in the tube. I get to the top and see nothing but rock and water. Rock paths are about ten feet away from me on both sides. The giant cornucopia stands at the ends of all the rock paths. It's surrounded by backpacks and weapons like always. And I'm completely surrounded by water. Good thing my father taught me to swim.

My father taught Prim and I how to swim.

The instant thought of water brought me back to the flashback I had when I passed out.

Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Like my mother. Twin. Missing. Both very different. The thought repeats over and over in my head.

I push the thought away and I look across all the pedestals looking at each of the tribute's faces. Almost all of them have the look of terror on them. I'm looking for Peeta, but can't see him. He must be on the other side of the cornucopia.