Chapter 24: Piece in their Games

Peeta's POV

Raindrops fall silently outside the bakery. I continue to knead the dough that my father prepared. I've become such a hard worker in the bakery. Only because it helps me forget. After kneading and rolling the dough out, I put it in the oven to bake. It took about two and half hours to bake and was almost done. I hear my mother yelling at someone outside and I walk out there to see what's going on. A girl. Brunette hair. Grey eyes. I know this girl. She lives with her parents and lost a sister. I see she was digging through our trash scavenging probably for food or clothes. She looks so sick like she could pass out at any moment. I feel so sorry for her. Despite how sick she looks, she looks so beautiful. I remember going to school with her. She was the beautiful singer in the class.

I watch as she sits against a tree trying to gain strength. She wipes her face from the rain drops. She breathes hard trying to catch her breath.

"Get inside, boy. Stop staring at the ugly creature." My mother yells at me. I ignore what she said and walked inside. My mother walks upstairs to get my brothers and father for dinner and I checked the bread to make sure it was done. The beautiful tan bread was perfectly done and I was about to pull it out when I rememebered the girl. I shook my head and left the bread in the oven to burn on purpose. About fifteen minutes later, I took it out and it wasn't completely burned, just some spots here and there. My mother walks in and her face fills with anger.

"Nice going Peeta! You burnt the bread. What is wrong with you?! No son of mine will burn bread if they were taught correctly and for your sake you were!" She yells and hits me really hard across the face. All my life I've had to deal with my abusive mother always hitting me and yelling.

"Feed it to the pigs!" She yells as she goes into the kitchen."

I walk with the half burnt loaf of bread in hand outside to the porch

I walk with the half burnt loaf of bread in hand outside to the porch. I was about to throw it to the pigs when I see the girl still sitting there. Her arms hug her knees as she sobs. She stopped because she heard the screen door shut. I look to see if my mother was watching me and when I found that she wasn't, I tossed the half burnt loaf to the girl. She was shocked. I saw a tear slip from her eye.

I hurried inside and waited for my mother to punish me some more for what I did. I knew it was the right thing to do. I saved a girl's life. But not just any girl, the girl I couldn't stop thinking about my whole life.

I jolt awake looking around. I then realize I'm still in arena. I fell asleep after sitting here resting after the wave.

I've been in the same section for a day and a half. Nothing has happened in this section which is weird. It's been 24 hours and still nothing on whatever hour this is. I have only heard one cannon since the wave and it was the male morphling. I got separated from the everyone in the group. I sit with my back against a tree with my hands in my lap trying to think of where to go. I decide to get up and go to the beach to look for Katniss or somebody in the group.