Blood of the Exalted

The strange vibration inside of Artifax had only intensified as the men went deeper into the mountain. Whatever was at the end of the passageway, Artifax felt their journey would soon know an end.

Throk walked cautiously behind Artifax on the left, and Ladon followed behind on the right. The rumbling sound of the liquid rock surrounded them. Temperatures were elevated and the luminescence of the walls and floor were twice that of the start of the passage. There was a clearing up ahead.

Artifax stepped carefully out into the open chamber. In the center was a platform surrounded by magma on all sides, save for the one they had walked in on. He scanned the room for signs of life and found them at the opposite edge of the platform. There, against the red glow of the molten rock stood a man.

"Welcome home Artifax," said the man. He appeared to be smiling. The group approached him slowly.

"That is the devil, "whispered Throk.

"There is evil in this place," followed Ladon.

The man's eyes followed the gnome to where he stopped, some ten feet between them. Artifax began to speak but the vibration within his body was almost debilitating. He struggled to get the words out.

"This place once had that effect on me, but I embraced the energy that still spills into this world." The man held up his hands and gestured to the mountain.

"Do I... I know you?" Artifax was now having a hard time focusing. His vision was going blurry. He fell to one knee and Ladon bent to brace him.

"I am Theradeax, of Mount Mertion." He paused to see if there was any recognition in Artifax's face. "You and I, we once shared the court of THE King."

While Artifax's body struggled, his mind suddenly shot backward in time to the moment he appeared in the mortal world. Back farther, his memory went for the first time in his wakened mind. He could remember Mount Celestia... The seven peaks of the Radiant Throne, where once he had served the mighty Bahamut. He saw himself as a grand ancient brass dragon. And he saw his brothers, the leftenants of good in the realm of gods and man. There beside him, was Theradeax.

"Yes." Theradeax said. "The heart inside me pumps the blood of the Exalted, like yours."