Out of the Fire

Heat.

Extreme heat fed into the other extreme sensations that Artifax felt as he sank in the magma. His mind traveled back in time to another place as his body reeled from the sensations that would have ripped any other mortal apart.

He saw Theradeax in his true form, a beautiful copper dragon. He saw the azure color of the sky fade in and out with all of the other colors his dragon eyes could perceive. He saw a vast mountain range shining with the power of the other exalted gods, Kord and Moradin. And Artifax, the great brass fire dragon of Mount Mertion, stood beside Bahamut, Theradeax, and the multitudinal host of dragon soldiers serving good across all of the worlds.

His memories came flooding back of his time in the Seven Heavens. Artifax perceived the good and selfless acts he committed during his time on high. He perceived the resulting brash impulsiveness, which he had always assumed was the cause of his fall. He perceived the blind obedience to the ideals that each of his brothers lived by.

Then, he perceived the betrayal Theradeax had spoken of, and his resulting judgement. It was not just impulsivity that had caused Artifax's fall from grace. Their sentences were for insubordination. Their crimes, however, were far greater than even Bahamut had perceived.

In his present state, Artifax could see the timeline of the world stretched before him. The betrayal Theradeax and he had put into motion had not yet reached full momentum. Much would get worse for Bahamut and his soliders in the years to come.

Artifax felt a burning inside of his body, much like he did on the outside. But the heat inside, was far more painful. Artifax had discovered the truth of his past and of his character. In an instant everything that he was as a living soul had been transformed. The light inside him had become dim in his own eyes. The burning was anger. Anger at his past actions. Anger at his betrayal of his master and of the ideals he defended so passionately as a mortal. The burning changed him yet again.

In the magma, the gnome began to struggle against the weight of the liquid rock. Holding his breath he steeled his mind against the changes underway in his body. And he began to reach for the surface.

On the platform above, Throk and Ladon were scanning the surface of the magma. As all hope had diminished in their hearts that Artifax could somehow survive the heat of the mountain, a scaly hand pushed its way onto the edge of the platform and pulled its changed body out of the fire.