Grandma Edwina

Have I ever told you anything about my Grandma Edwina on my father's side? She was a tad on the strange side. What I mean by that, is, she liked to do silly things like pickling vegetables and going to car races. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but personally I like Quidditch better. She went to Hogwarts many years ago as a Slytherin and was one of the prefects later on. She was the only one in my family that I know of who was a Slytherin, but that changes nothing about the fact that she is a wonderful grandmother. Slytherins aren't, after all, evil. Just misunderstood. I think people tend to forget that. 

Grandma Eddy used to like to play card games with my father and me, and showed me how to wash my underwear in the sink when there is no other way to wash them. (Nowadays I'm allowed to use magic, of course.) I remember playing hide-and-go-seek with Grandma Eddy, and laughing at the funny faces she would make. I looked up to her because she knew how to laugh in the face of, well, anything. 

Grandma Eddy is gone, now, but I still remember how she lit up the room with her presence and how at family gatherings she told embarrassing stories about Daddy when he was a little boy and then made fun of him when he blushed at the dinner table. I keep these memories with me as a reminder that while life is hard, it is also undeniably funny.

Lesson 16: Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.