01. MUTANT AND PROUD

CHAPTER ONE
MUTANT AND PROUD

     THE NEXT THING SHE KNEW, she was at an off-site facility, surrounded by other mutants presumably her age — who, she was introduced, were Hank, Raven, Alex, Sean, Angel, and Darwin — which was something she thought would never happen

THE NEXT THING SHE KNEW, she was at an off-site facility, surrounded by other mutants presumably her age — who, she was introduced, were Hank, Raven, Alex, Sean, Angel, and Darwin — which was something she thought would never happen. She was sitting on a chair, between two sofas, right behind her was a huge window that covered most of the wall.

"We should think of code names," said Raven, "we're government agents now, we should have secret code names. I want to be called Mystique."

Rosie went silent by the time Raven said government agents. The thought of following into her dad's footsteps led to uneasy feelings in her gut.

"Damn, I wanted to be called Mystique!" Sean exclaimed instantly, making everyone else either smile or give a little laugh.

"Well, tough. I called it," she said, before transforming herself into Sean, surprising everyone in the room, "and I'm way more mysterious than you." She changed back, Rosie found herself in awe with the others.

"Darwin, what about you?" Asked Raven.

"Well, 'Darwin' is already a nickname, and, you know, it sort of fits, adapt to survive and all. Check this out," Darwin stood up and walked to a fish tank, everyone was curious to see what he was up to. He put his head inside the tank and grew gills. There was a chorus of whoa's and once again, everyone was clapping.

"What about you?" He pointed to Sean.

"I'm going to be . . . Banshee." Sean decided.

"Why do you want to be named after a wailing spirit?" Hank asked him, Rosie was equally as curious.

"You might want to cover your ears," he answered, taking a position behind the table, leveling himself with the glasses while everyone put their hands on their ears. He motioned for Rosie — who was sitting directly in front of the table — to step aside, and she quickly stood up and went to the side.

He let out a scream, but instead of the glasses, he shattered a whole window. The group, including himself, were shocked at first but then they were all clapping again. Rosie sat back down on her chair, but she pulled it slightly to the left to avoid the shattered pieces of glass on the floor near it.

"Your turn." He gestured to Angel.

"My stage name is Angel. It kind of fits," she turned her back and her tattoos, that was what Rosie assumed, anyway, turned into wings.