Prologue

Olivia and her father, Hiram Flaversham are celebrating Olivia's fifth birthday. Olivia plays with a small rocking horse as her father adjusts his apron.

Olivia: You know, Daddy, this is my very best birthday.

Hiram: Ahh...but I haven't given you your present yet.

Olivia: (Excited) What is it? What is it?

Hiram: Now, now. Close your eyes.

He moves to a small cupboard as Olivia tries to sneak a peek between her fingers.

Hiram: Uh-uh-uh-uh. Auch, no. No peeking now.

Olivia giggles as Hiram returns to the table, a small toy in his hand that resembles a flowerbud. He winds the key and sets it in front of her.

As a gentle tune plays, Olivia opens her eyes and sees that the bud has turned into a mouse ballerina, who dances for her.

Olivia: (Gasps) Oh, Daddy! You made this just for me?

Outside, a peg-legged figure slowly approaches. He cackles evilly as his shadow looms over the door to the toy shop.

Inside, the doll has finished her dance, and Olivia gets down from her chair to hug Hiram.

Olivia: You're the most wonderful father in the...in the whole world!

The tender moment was interrupted as the locked door begins to rattle. Olivia and Hiram look toward the door as the rattling becomes more intense. Hiram puts his arms around his daughter protectively.

Olivia: Who is that?

Hiram: I-I don't know!

Hiram hides her in the cupboard and stands in front of it.

Hiram: Quickly, dear, stay in her and don't come out!

Then, Fidget, the bat, bursts through the window.

From inside her hiding place, Olivia cracks the door and watches in terror as her father and Fidget struggle. The table flies toward the cupboard, shutting the door and pushing Olivia back.

Fidget: Now I gotcha, toy maker! (Cackles)

Hiram: Oh! Olivia!

Olivia pushes against the door and is able to move the table. She creaks the door open and steps out.

In was slient, when the shop is dark; furniture is scattered as empty paint buckets are spilling out.

Olivia: Daddy, where are you?

Olivia goes to the window.

Olivia: Daddy...where are you?! Daddy! (Echoing) DADDY!!