Anger, Forgiveness, and The List

Back Inside the toy shop, Dawson has managed to free himself and along with Basil is searching for Maria.

Dawson: Maria!, answer us!

Basil: Maria!, Maria!

They hear the sound of a doll repeatedly saying 'Mama', and they pushed aside a small boat and drum to find Maria tangled to the doll's pull string, furiously trying to untie herself.

Dawson: Maria! Olivia... she's...

He does not finish his sentence, because Basil started to yell at him.

Basil: Yes! She's gone, Dawson! Confound it! I told you to watch over the girl!

He manages to untie the string and Maria falls to the ground, he lifts her back on her feet, and checked for injuries.

Maria: (smiles gratefully) Basil, I have am fine, Look (she twirls around), see no injuries.

Basil takes a deep breath and let's it out, and smiles at her

Basil: ( Relieved) Thanks goodness. Now as I was saying (glares at Dawson) to you!!!

Basil: Now she's been spirited away by that maniacal little monster. Soon to be in the clutches of the most depraved mind in all of London! I should have known better than to...

Basil stops mid-rant and sees Dawson simply standing there, his back turned, and his head hung sadly.

Basil: Than to...Um, eh Dawson? Dawson?

Maria: ( Worried) Doctor?, Doctor, what is the matter?

Basil looks just as concerned as Maria at the damage Basil has done.

Basil comes to Dawson, smiling.

Basil: I say, Dawson, old chap?

Dawson sniffles and wipes his face with his handkerchief.

Dawson: Oh, ah, poor girl. I should have watched her more closely.

Basil saddens. Then he tries to smile to cheer him up.

Basil: (Apologetically) Don't worry, old fellow. It's not... entirely hopeless.

Dawson says nothing and Basil's smile fades.

Dawson looks towards Basil when the detective placed his hand on his shoulder.

Basil: We'll get her back.

Dawson: Do-do you think there's a chance?

Basil: There's always a chance, Doctor.

Basil strikes his match on the nose of a doll to light his pipe.

Basil: As long as one can think.

Basil begins to pace around the room, smoking his pipe, and Dawson sighs, putting his hands in his pockets. A puzzled expression crosses his face as he pulls out the list, reading from it.

Dawson: "Get the following: tools, gears..."

Maria: What?

Dawson: "Girl..."

Maria sees the list.

Maria: "Get the follo...?"

Dawson: "Uni..."

Maria snatched the list from Dawson to look at it, and overjoyed at the key piece of evidence.

Maria: (Excited) This exactly what we need!!!

Basil is confused, and so is Dawson

Maria: (still excited, hands Basil the list) Here!!!

He reads the list and became overjoyed too

Basil: Dawson, you've done it! This list is precisely what we need.

Dawson: What?

Basil puts on his deerstalker cap as he and Maria rushes to the window.

Basil: Quickly, back to Baker Street!