Set It Off

Back at Ratigan's lair, the record was still playing, but Basil has still made no attempt to free everyone. Olivia was pushing at the cork, to no avail, Dawson is saying his prayers, and Maria is trying to talk to Basil.

Record: It's through so although it hurts I'll try to smile as I say goodbye So soon and isn't this...

Maria: Basil?

Basil groans.

Maria: Basil!

Basil: Oh, how could I have been so blind?

Maria: We all make mistakes! But we can't let that stop us! We have to-

Basil: Ratigan's proved he's more clever than I. (Scoffs) He would never have walked into such an obvious trap.

Maria: Oh pull yourself together! You can stop that villain! Why-

Maria suddenly looks over to the record, which was skipping. Over Ratigan's continued "So long", Maria continues to try and knock some sense into Basil.

Maria: Basil! The record!

Basil: Oh, it's finally happened! I've been outwitted!

Maria: Oh, Basil, please!

Basil: Beaten! Duped! Made a fool of!

Maria is by now getting angry.

Basil: Oh, ridiculed! Belittled!

Maria: That's enough!

The record fixes itself, and the song continues. Time was running out...

Maria: Dash it all, Basil! The Queen's in danger, Olivia and Dawson are counting on us. We're about to be horribly splattered and all you can do is lie there feeling sorry for yourself. Well, I know you can save us, but if you've given up then why don't we set it off now and be done with it?!

Record: We know by now that time knows how to fly...

Basil gives a weak chuckle.

Basil: "Set it off now."

Then, it gives him an plan.

Basil: Set it... off... now? Ye...Yeah!

Maria thinks and looks around for a moment, and then she gets what Basil is thinking

Maria: Yes, set it off!!!

Dawson looks at Basil and Maria horrified that thier suggestion was actually taken.

Basil: Ye...Yeah!

Basil and Maria grins and chuckles maniacally.

Maria: Yes! We'll... We'll set the trap off now!

Dawson: Basil! Maria! Wait! I didn't mean that we ought-

The song has ended, and the ball was on its way. Back in his true form, Basil quickly forms a plan.

Basil: The angle of the trajectory multiplied by the square root of an isosceles triangle...(Mumbling)...dividing Guttermeg's principle of opposing forces in motion (More mumbling) and adjusting for the difference in equilibrium...Dawson, Maria, at the exact moment I tell you, we must release the triggering mechanism!!

The ball was getting closer. Dawson was ready, but terrified at what may be suicide.

Basil: Get ready, you two...Steady...

Dawson can barely muffle his panicked fear.

Basil: Now!

As Dawson yells, they hit the trigger, saved from the metal switch by the ball that was stopped just between their heads.

The vibration loosens one of the pegs, which ricochets towards the gun, causing it to misfire and hit the crossbow, which instead of being aimed at the trio, flies towards the axe, cutting off the head. The blade falls lengthwise, slicing through the ropes and trap, effectively freeing them. The anvil falls seconds later, missing them.

The force of the anvil hitting the ground rattles Olivia's bottle, loosening the cork and sending her sailing through the air. As Dawson leans heavily against the anvil, Basil sheds his sailor costume and puts his brown jacket and his deerstalker cap back on, while Maria sheds her sailor dress and puts her blue dress on, Basil puts one arm around Dawson and holds the other arm around Maria, while the latter hold her arms out

Basil: Thank you, Dawson, and Thank You Maria.

Olivia lands right in Maria's open arms, and Basil brings the group close.

Basil and Maria: Smile everyone!

The camera goes off, capturing Basil and Maria's brilliant smile, and Olivia and Dawson's stunned expressions.