Chapter 1: I Need Freedom

'New York City looked so crowded .'

Noah was wearing his suit-and-tie he always wore, his brown leather bag was on his lap. His legs were twitching, along with anxiety and impatience shown on his face. He was late for work.

He could smell the cigarette in the car although neither he nor the taxi driver smoked. 'Guess somebody had smoked there before I took the seat,' he thought.

Noah scrunched his nose as he took the first breath of cigar. He was afraid that his clothes would get the smell. Then his colleagues thought he smoked.

Noah never smoked, and he wouldn't, he vowed so. His father died of cancer because of smoking, he left Noah when he was five. Noah was a twenty-nine-year-old handsome but awkward man, he would be thirty next day. He had an adopted daughter and he wouldn't make any bad influences nor die soon in front of his child.

Carrie, his precious child. Just graduated from kindergarten. She had blonde hair, Noah was dark chestnut brown, but she had blue eyes just like her foster father. They shared many interest, including nature, going on adventure, and fairy tales. Yes, fairy tales, Noah incredibly loved fantasy, despite his colleagues mocking at him.

"MOVE!" the taxi driver honked the car and shouted. Traffic jam, number one problem in this city. Noah looked around, cars scattered everywhere. He thought he saw a motorcycle driving on the sidewalk to move faster, but goodness, the driver was caught and no pedestrians were harmed. 

"Finally!" Noah sighed. Traffic jam was over, the cars began to move. Noah looked at his watch, 15 more minutes.

 Noah looked at his watch, 15 more minutes

*******************

"Hey, nerd!" said one of his colleagues, Jack, who was sitting on Noah's desk. Noah was still focus on his computer, a word "IDEA" appeared on the screen.

 Noah was still focus on his computer, a word "IDEA" appeared on the screen

"What?" Noah rolled his eyes to his annoying colleague. Jack Henderson, he was about five years younger than Noah. Jack was more of a gangster than a NYMagazine worker. He flirted with girls while working and most stories he found were creepy and, as Jack called, "Jacky", although he had many interesting ones about haunting and murders.

Noah usually wrote about political rights, like stories about supporting gay marriages or women equality. Noah also wrote about his adventures. Adventure, he loved taking adventures. He remembered the time before he got the job, no worries, just traveled around the world and wrote stories on journal. But he had no time for adventure anymore. Of course, he loved being a journalist and newspaper writer, but being adventurer was his big desire. His ambition.

"Can I call you 'nerd'?" asked Jack annoyingly. Noah didn't like to be called a 'nerd', although he WAS a nerd. Who had As in everything at school?

"Why?" he asked.

"Because you're a nerd!"

"Then no!" Noah went back to work.

"Dude, I'm joking!" Jack chuckled. "Anyway, Boss wanted us to do this project." He gave Noah the file. Noah opened it, it said "Need a person to travel to the Evergreen Forest in Florida to write an interesting story about it."

Noah smiled to himself. This was what he wanted. Freedom.