Chapter 2

Continued from Part 1:

Dev is not feeling well and Sona is in the house taking care of him.

Sona looked closely at Dev as his expressions hardened a bit. She could see the pain in his eyes and he definitely looked pale and ill. She tentatively reached out her hand and touched his forehead. He was burning up and she quickly touched his cheeks and down to his neck.

"O my God Mr. Dixit! You are burning up! Lagta hai aapko to bahut tez bukhar hai. Dekhiye aapko agar zaroori kaam hai to please ghar se kar lijiye but you definitely shouldn't go to work in this condition!" She exclaimed.

Dev wanted to argue but he was feeling so miserable with every part of his body aching and his eyes smarting while he struggled to keep them open, that he quietly agreed. Moreover, he felt that Sona would go on and on if he didn't shut her up. 

"Okay Miss Bose, but maa bhi nahin hai aur Rhea aur Nikki to office aur school gaye hain. Kichu bhaiyya to hain hi. Aap ki aaj yahan koi zaroorat nahin hai waise. To kyun na aap chhutti le len? I think you should go home and take this opportunity to rest as well." Dev said. 

"No way Mr. Dixit! Main aapko is haalat mein chhodke kaise jaa sakti hoon? Impossible! Waise bhi maa kehti hai ki bimar logon ko kabhi akela nahin chhodna chahiye. I will not go that's final!" Sona said.

"P-please D-Dev" she added softly, "Please let me help you.. at least aaj to mujhe aapke liye kuchh karne dijiye".

She was prepared for further argument, but to her surprise Dev agreed. He just nodded his head and said "Alright", sighed deeply and visibly relaxed and closed his eyes.

Sona stared at Dev, her boss Dev, her friend Dev. The man she fell completely in love with. He was obviously in pain, he had to be to agree to her staying and helping without arguing even once, and all she could do was look. She wanted to reach out and brush the damp lock of hair off his forehead. She wanted to brush her fingers across his face, his lips, his proud and sharp jaw and feel his stubble on her soft hands. She suddenly snapped up to see Dev looking at her suspiciously. Oh damn, she was lost in her thoughts and staring at him again! 

"Miss Bose aap phir meri taraf ajeeb se dekh rahi hain.." he murmured.

"Umm, main wo umm dekh rahi thi ki aap umm yahan bahar hi thik hain ki aapko bed pe letna hai? Aap ke liye main ice pack leke aati hoon aur umm wo thermometer kahan hai? umm kichu bhaiyyaa..." She ran away.

What are you doing Sona, she kicked herself in her head.

She quickly asked Kichu bhaiyya to make some soup with lentils and veggies and put black pepper and lemon to help with his cold. She took the thermometer from the medicine cabinet and got hte ice pack out of the freezer and headed out. 

Dev was so sick and tired that he couldn't even think clearly. He knew he had work to do on his presentation, but he called Tina, his secretary, to inform her that he was really sick and couldn't make it in but he would be available for calls and would log on intermittently to finish his work and check his emails. Sona was right, he should probably head upstairs and lie down for a bit and then finish his work when he felt a bit better. As he slowly headed up to his room his thoughts wandered to Sona and how he caught her looking at him. Is it possible that she likes me too? No, it's impossible and why am I even thinking all this? No! No! 

He crashed into the bed. The cool sheets felt great against his throbbing head. Soon the room started feeling cold and as he turned he felt the warm blanket wrap him up. He opened his eyes and saw Sona put the ice pack on his neck and head and hold his hand tenderly. She put the thermometer in his mouth and held his hand while he closed his eyes and lay. 

"How much is it?" Dev asked with a worried frown.

"umm.. it's 103.2.. but don't worry Mr. Dixit. You will get better with more rest. I'm right here D-Dev. I won't go anywhere. you'll be fine."

She brought him the hot soup and helped him up in his bed, fluffed his pillows, wiped the sweat off his brow. 

Dev looked at the soup and wrinkled his nose. He had absolutely no apetite. If anything he was nauseous and clammy and just wanted to sleep. 

"Aapko khana hi padega. Koi bahana nahin chalega. You know main kitni ziddi hoon Dev. Chaliye ab please soup pi lijiye like a good boy!", Sona cajoled. Dev smiled as he remembered once again how his mother used to be by his bedside all day taking care of him.

He ate the toast and finished the soup. He took the medicine Sona got for him and went back to sleep. 

Sona sat there all day beside him. Waking him up intermittently to ensure he keeps drinking water and fluids. She monitored his temperature and made sure he was comfortable. She changed his ice packs, ran her fingers through his hair while he slept easing his headache.

Tina called to check up on her boss and Sona told her how sick Dev was. Tina told her she would handle all the work and clients so that Dev could rest. Sona remarked on how lucky Dev was to have such wonderful team working for him. Tina said "actually we are the lucky ones. Mr. Dixit is truly an amazing boss but moreover a good person, and we all wish him speedy recovery".

Sona wondered how many times had she seen Dev's kindness and generosity towards other human beings. He was a self-made man, he could be ruthless while conducting his business, professional to the core, but he understood the human value of his employees and poeple around him and that's what made him so special. She smiled as she looked at the peacefully sleeping man. 

"That's why I love you Dev!" she whispered and kissed his forehead lightly.

To be continued in chapter 3