Chapter 10

Continued from Chapter 9 - Dev has to go away for a day on work and Sona accompanies him for their first getaway together. 

Dev picked up Sona from her house sharp at 9pm. 

"Aap itni door drive karenge raat ko? Mujhe laga driver hoga", Sona said.

"Nahin, sirf hum dono", Dev said with a wink and a smile, "Aur firr driver ki zaroorat ghar pe zada hogi. Wahan pe saare team ke log pahunch jayenge kal subah. Aaj ki raat aur ye long drive is for both of us only!"

"Wowww, how romantic! Dev I'm so happy! Pata hai mujhe to yaad bhi nahin main kab last aise trip pe gayi thi! Life mein bas 2-3 baar hi shayad Delhi se bahar kahin gayi hoongi aur wo bhi family ke saath. kabhi akeli khud se kahin nahin gayi!", She took Dev's hand and kissed it gently, "Thank you!", she said softly. 

"Arre ye to shuruat hai madam, aage aage dekhiye hota hai kya! I know aapko traveling pasand hai. Aap dekhna hum bahut saara time nikaal ke aise hi travel kiya karenge.. we'll make lots of memories!", Dev said.

About an hour later they stopped at a roadside dhaba and ate awesome homely food and talked to the friendly owner. The owner warned that the road was not very safe and they shouldn't stop in between for anything but there were other roadside dhabas and small villages in between where they could rest if needed. 

They thanked the owner and left. It wasn't too far a distance and Dev wasn't worried. They would make it in time. The road was beautiful and winding up the hill. Soon they were approaching the cool hilly lands and the temperature dropped and they could see the cloudy mist hanging around. And below the lights of nearby villages were shining.

"Dev please do minute roko na.. Mujhe pics leni hai. This is so beautiful. Please ek selfie lete hain na yahan with the lights and the valley background."

"Sona, hum bas 45 mins mein pahunch jayenge, aur yaad nahin uncle ne kya kaha tha ki rukna nahin chahiye aise humein?"

Sona sulked and Dev couldn't see her sad. He would fulfil all her desires no matter how foolish they might seem, and he would do anything to see her happy, he realised.

He stopped the car. Her eyes shone with delight! They both got out of the car and it was freezing outside but so so beautiful. They both took pics and spent a few minutes in each other's arms looking down at the village lights twinkling through the clouds. 

They got back to the car, and headed out and were on the way. Soon Dev realised that something was wrong and the road was approaching dead end and it was no longer a proper road but a dirt track.

"Dev, hum galat road pe aa gaye kya?"

"Umm, haan lagta to aise hi hai. Shayad wo turn lena tha par hum seedha chale aaye. Wapas chalna padega."

The car was stuck in the muddy dirt road and no matter how much he tried the tires wouldn't find the traction to reverse. 

"Arrghh!" Dev shouted in frustration when he got off to inspect the situation.

"Ab kya karein Dev?" Sona had also got off the car. "Ek kaam karte hain. Main start karti hoon car aur tum aage se dhakka maaro aur firr nikal jayega ye..nahin?", she stopped seeing Dev's expression.

"Main superman hoon jo akele dhakka maroonga to car nikal jayega?! Tum na.."

"Arre? Main to solution de rahi thi bas, tum gussa kyon kar rahe ho?"

"Koi workable solution do firr .. aap to intelligent aur smart hain na.. itni stupid baatein kyun kar rahi hain firr? Dhakka maaro! arrggh.. agar hum udhar ruk ke andhere mein selfie na le rahe hote aur raste pe dhyaan dete to galat mod nahin liya hota."