Chapter 4

Continued from chapter 3: Sona cared for Dev all day tirelessly while he was sick and  Dev is mad at her for not waking him up and taking care of his work while he was sleeping. Sona is hurt and leaves in a hurry.

Dev was filled with regret as he remembered Sona's tear filled eyes and the hurt look on her face. Why do I always end up hurting her? There was absolutely no reason for me to get angry. All she did was care for me. And how unconditionally did she take care of me! She stayed by my side, never left my hand, didn't even go home just because I would be left alone! 

Dev realised that her concern for him scared him. He was scared of such pure human emotions because of the way he was raised amidst all hardships. The things he had witnessed since he was 8 yrs old had turned him into a cynical man. But Sona stirred up emotions inside him like no one else could! She made him trust her, she made him want her company all the time, she made him believe in goodness and purity of heart, and it scared him! Was this why he lashed out at her everytime he felt drawn towards her?

As Dev realised that what he felt for Sona was not mere friendship or boss-employee concern, but it was love, he was jolted back to reality. Was it even possible? A tiny voice in his head reminded him how Sona had always put him and his mother and family ahead of her, and had always been there for him. When did she become a habit and when this habit converted into a desire, he didn't remember, but his heart told him that if she left, there would be a void - so big - that nothing and no one would be able to fill it. Maybe this is love, but right now wasn't the time to think about it. All he knew was that he had to go and apologise to Sona and make her happy and promise to never ever hurt her again!

Sona could barely see through her tears, she could barely even breathe! Why did love have to hurt so much? She was a practical girl, and though she never had experienced love before, she knew without a doubt in her heart that she loved Dev. She loved him not in spite of his flaws and his temper, but with everything, because she knew that he never really meant to hurt anyone and that he had a heart of gold and that he would already be miserable at this point. But still, maybe he doesn't love me and never will. Maybe that's why it hurts. Whatever i do for him would never be enough and he will never realise how much I love him.

Sona broke down into sobs in the middle of the road. She sat down as her legs gave away, and she heaved as she let all her angst, her pain just go. I am letting you go my love she thought, I just hoped it wouldn't be so hard! 

Suddenly she felt strong, warm arms around her. She tried to turn but she faced a rock hard chest instead. She tried to beat it away and took out all her anger and eventually exhausted buried her face and kept crying.

Dev saw Sona on the road. He had never seen her in this state, she looked so fragile, so broken. He couldn't stop his urge to hug her tight in his arms and never let go. She was shocked and she was angry, he realised, as she nearly beat his chest to a pulp with those frail looking hands. Damn they were stronger than she looked! But he stayed patient. I probably deserve worse, he thought wryly, as she went back to crying and buried her face in his arms. He stroked her soft hair soothing her, gently rocked her back and forth. He wanted to ease away all her pain and sorrows. He vowed to himself that he would never ever hurt her again.

"Shhhh shhh, Sonakshi, bas chup ho jao please.. I am so sorry, I am so sorry Sona, I don't deserve to be forgiven. But please mat ro. Main aapko is haalat mein nahin dekh sakta please..".

Minutes passed, Sona slowly stopped crying, as she calmed down she realised where she was. She looked up and saw Dev looking at her with so  much love and concern that it broke her heart again. Just as tears started to form again, Dev stopped her.

"Bas Sona bas. Aajke baad main tumhare aankhon mein aansuon ki wajah kabhi nahin banoonga ye waada karta hoon."

As Sona looked up in confusion, he continued.

"Kuchh mat kehna bas mujeh aaj keh lene do. Maine kabhi aise feel nahin kiya kisi ke liye Sonakshi and haan har baar aap mere saath hoti thi to main darr jaata. Mujhe khud ko kabhi samajh nahin aaya ki main aapke saath apne pe control kaise kho deta hoon aur is baat se main khud pe gussa ho jaata tha aur aap pe saari naraazgi nikaal deta tha."

"Dev aa-aap ye k-kya k-keh ...", Sona tried to ask.

"Shh Sonakshi. Aaj jab aap wahan se chali gayi, aur mujhe achanak laga ki you are gone forever, I just couldn't take it. It suddenly occured to me ki aap mere liye kya maeene rakhti hain. Logon ko jab pyar hota hai to wo kehte hain ki yahi ladki hai jiske saath main saari zindagi guzaar sakta hon. Par mujhe aaj ye ehsaas hua ki pyaar jab hota hai to aisa lagta hai ki is ladki ke bina main ek pal bhi zinda nahin reh sakta."

"Main tumhare bina ab nahin reh paoonga Sona. Tum meri zindagi mein aayi, mere parivaar ka hissa ban gayi, meri maa ka khayal rakha, dheere dheere meri dost ban gayi, phir zaroorat. Mujhe ab yaad nahin tumhare bagair meri life, aur main wo life yaad karna bhi nahin chahta. Agar tum chali gayi, there won't be a life to go back to for me Sona. I love you."

Sona couldn't believe her ears. Was this real? Was she dreaming? 

"Dev, aap ye kya.."

" Sona, I understand if you don't feel the same way, but I have fallen in love with you and aaj jaake mujhe ye baat samajh aayi. Mujhe aapko to batana hi tha. Please don't be mad at me. Agar aapko aisi koi feelings nahi..."

Shhh Sona slowly raised her finger and traced his lips and looked at him and smiled.

She hugged him close and said, "Bas Dev, ab kabhi mujhe is sapne se mat jagana, I just want to be here in your arms."

Dev hugged her tight and held her close. He could feel his heart beating and her heart beating at the same time to the same rhythm. He was happy, he realised, he was satisfied with life at this very moment! 

Wow, this is new, and this is perfect!

To Be Continued ...

(Apologies for not posting sooner - I was traveling and did not have much access to internet!!)