Chapter 8

Continued from chapter 7 - Nikki (Dev's Sister) sees Sona late night sneaking out at Dev's house. Will Sona and Dev's clandestine romance get caught? 

Sonakshi went to Nikki and said, "Arre Nikki, tu soi nahin ab tak?"

Nikki said, " Bas paani pine uthi thi, par aap idhar itni raat gaye kya kar rahe ho?"

Sona had to improvise and fast! " Arre mujhe urgnet kaam tha Mr. Dixit se wo auntyji ki reports discuss karni thi na aur tumhare bhaiyya to bahut late ho gaye aaj aane mein .. to main wo.. wo unko jaldi se reports samjha ke bas nikal hi rahi thi. you don't worry.. tum sone jao.. i'll see you tomorrow?"

"haan, okay", Nikki was too sleepy to question anything (Thank God for that!) and she went back to her room.

The next day Sona went to Dev's house and straight to the kitchen. She was still mad at him for last night and had decided that she wouldn't talk to him for the whole day and then maybe by evening she'll calm down and he would have learnt his lesson. 

Everyone was at the breakfast table and Dev came down looking like he hadn't slept well. His eyes were bloodshot but he had cleaned up and wore his well fitting suit so he managed to look presentable.

He tried to catch Sona's eye but she avoided him. He could tell she was super angry and he cringed when he remembered last night's incident. He should never have chugged the champagne like that. He was not used to drinking and on empty stomach the alcohol just hit him and he got woozy, and then Sona.. o God! He would have to think of ways to pacify her  and make it up to her.

"Dev.. beta teri tabyat to thik hai na? u bahut thaka hua lag raha hai?", Ishwari asked worried that her son was working too hard.

"Nahin maa", Dev croaked, "wo bas thoda sa sar mein dard hai. Miss Bose - aap mere liye asprin laa dengi please?"

"Kichu bhaiyaaa, Mr. Dixit ko sar dard ki dawai de dijiye please main yahan busy hoon.", Sona didn't even look at Dev. She knew if she looked her heart would win over and then she would melt and forget her anger all over again.

Dev quietly took the aspirin from Kichu bhaiyya and gulped down the orange juice. He quickly ate some toast before his stomach retched and became all queasy. Hangovers are the worst and No More Drinking EVER! thought Dev to himself.

"Arre beta office mat ja na sardard hai to.. ghar se kaam kar lena..", Ishwari coaxed.

"nahin maa zaroori clients aaj aa rahe hain jaana to padega.. lekin main jaldi wapas aa jaoonga aur shaam ko ghar se hi kaam kar loonga. Tu fikr mat kar.", Dev said.

He got up to keep the glass inside the kitchen and went and stood next to Sona. Sona moved but Dev discreetly caught her hand. 

"Ab tak gussa ho? Maaf nahin karogi kya? Sorry pleasee maaf kar do?", he whispered.

"Kis baat ki maafi? Aap ko jo karna hai kariye.. main kaun hoti hoon maaf karne wali? haath chhodiye mera mujhe kaam hai. Aur aapko bhi kaam pe jana chahiye.. you are late!", she whispered back and wrung her hand out of his grip and went out to the table.

Dev took his mom's blessings and left. Ab kya karoon - he thought to himself- Sona ko kaise manaoonga?

On the way to work he clicked a sad selfie of himself and added "Sorry!" to the pic and sent it to Sona.

Sona's phone buzzed and she almost laughed when she saw the pic. He was so cute! But no .. don't melt just yet, she told herself and didn't reply.

All through the day Dev kept texting her. But she stayed put and didn't respond. Dev finished off his meetings and called Tina.