Chapter 17

Continued from Chapter 16 - Dev and Sona are stuck with their impossible love. Meanwhile Ishwari rethinks her decisions...

Dev comes back home to find Mamiji looking like a cat that got the cream and Ishwari sitting in the hall. 

"Kya baatein ho rahi hai Mamiji? Aaj aap badi khush lag rahi hain!", Dev greeted them.

"Arre Dev main tere liye ek badhiya rishta leke aayi hoon aur jiji ko bhi ladki pasand hai.. dekh to le", Mamiji preened.

"Mamiji. Main abhi shaadi nahin karoonga. Aap ye sab wapas le jaiye aur please firr se mat leke aayiega."

"Arre kyun nahin karega? Jiji kahiye na aap isse", Mamiji called while Dev walked to his room ignoring them.

Ishwari tried to stop Mamiji and went to Dev's room. "Dev, tu to mamiji ko jaanta hai. Unka kaam hi hai ye sab, tu bura mat maan. Agar tujhe abhi shaadi nahin karni to koi baat nahin. Waise ladki is baar mujhe achhi lagi..", she ventured.

"Maa, main shadi nahin karoonga. Na ab aur na baad mein."

"Arre? ye kya baat hui? Saari umar bas kaam hi karega? Shaadi nahin karega matlab kya?"

"Matlab main kisi ko dhokha nahin de sakta aur isiliye main shadi nahin karoonga. Bas?"

"Dev, tu ab tak Sonakshi ko dhokha dene ki baatein kar raha hai?"

"Maa! Main Sona ko nahin us ladki ko dhokha dene ki baat kar raha hoon jisse meri shaadi hogi. Jab main use pyar nahin de sakta, use family life, wife ka darja nahin de sakta to shadi ka kya matlab hai? Maa, maine tujhse vaada kiya hai ki Sona is ghar mein nahin aayegi aur main wo vada nibhaoonga lekin main kisi aur se shaadi kabhi nahin karoonga. Bas!", Dev ended the conversation on a note of such finality that Ishwari was rendered speechless.

Maybe he needed more time? Maybe he was just rebelling? But as she argued with herself, she knew deep down that Dev was in love with Sonakshi and was miserable without her. In her fit of stubbornness, hurt and pride she had taken the decision and got back her son, but in the process her son lost. He lost his dreams, his aspirations, his heart and soul. Sleep was hard to come by as she tossed and turned under the guilt ridden covers.

A few weeks passed and none of them brought up the issue and things were back to normal. One morning Dev had just sat down for breakfast when his phone rang. He frowned with concern as Sona's name flashed on his mobile. Sona would never call him at this hour in the morning unless it was something urgent. He immediately picked up the phone.

"Kya hua? Sab thik to hai na? ... Sona calm down... I'll be there in 10 mins main bas abhi nikal raha hoon okay? Dr. Sinha ko call kiya? ... achha okay..Don't worry.", Ishwari heard Dev and looked up in concern. Dev touched her feet and literally ran from the door without any further explanations.

Ishwari thought for a few minutes. She tried to call Dev but his phone appeared busy. She couldn't help feeling concerned about Sonakshi. What could have happened? She got up after a few hours and  and called the driver. She went to Dev's office and looked up Tina.

"Tina, Dev se baat hui aaj subah?"

"Haan ma'm wo abhi abhi baat hui thi, Sir wo..."

"Tina, wo nashta kar raha tha to use call aaya Sonakshi ka, kuchh pareshaan sa tha. Mujhe batao ki koi baat hui .. kuchh doctor ya hospital ki baat kar raha tha? Mujhe chinta ho rahi hai isiliye poochh rahi hoon."

"Haan ma'm wo Sonakshi ke daadi ki tabiyat bahut kharab ho gayi aur unhe urgently surgery ke liye hospital leke gaye hain. To Dev sir wohin gaye hain aaj subah se. MS Hospital mein hai."