Chapter 3

Continued from Chapter 2:  Dev is sick and Sona takes care of him. Sona wonders about her love for Dev while Dev likes Sona but feels confused.

Dev opened his eyes slowly. The room was dark and the curtains drawn, it was really hard to tell what time it was. He felt much better and he remembered he had to work on his valuations. He tried to get upright when he noticed a soft tender hand curled up in his. He saw the silhouette of Sona lying with her face on the bed and sitting on the ground beside him, her hands outstretched and holding on to his. He slowly reached out and switched on the bedside lamp. She stirred and turned slightly towards him. He stared mesmerised. He involuntarily reached out and slowly took her silky locks in his fingers and swept it off her angelic face. Oh gosh, she is so pretty! his heart skipped a beat.

He could vaguely remember her being by his side all day. She took constant care of him never leaving him alone. In the absence of his mom, he had felt helpless, but Sona was there every step of the way never once letting him down. 

Sona's eyes fluttered open and she suddenly jumped up. 

"Aap thik to hai na? Is everything alright? Do you feel nauseous, feverish still? Kuchh chahiye aapko?" She said.

He put his finger on her lips and sushed her. 

"Mujhe kuchh nahin chahiye and I feel much better. But I do want to say something to you. I know its not enough, but thank you! Thank you Miss Bose for everything you did for me today, it means a lot to me." Dev smiled.

"Achha can you pull the curtains and switch on the lights please? I have so much work to do. Nap did me a lot of good and now that I feel better I really need to get back to work." Dev said.

Sona stretched. Her neck was stiff from the hours she spent sitting in the awkward position beside Dev. She felt a bit light headed as well, maybe because she hadn't had much to eat all day. Kichu bhaiyya had offered her lunch but Dev was so sick that she didn't really have time to herself. But she felt happy to see him now. He looked so much better! 

She pulled back the curtains and heard a loud expletive from Dev. She turned to find him looking at the bedside clock and towards her. "It's 3 AM in the morning!! Where the hell is my phone? And why did you not wake me up before?!", he shouted at Sona, livid.

"Umm, calm down Mr. Dixit" she walked across to his table and got the phone out of his drawer, " ye raha aapka phone. I put it on silent so you wouldn't be disturbed." 

Dev couldn't believe his eyes. When he saw the clock he thought it must be 3 in the afternoon, but it was dark outside and suddenly he did the math. How would he ever get his work done in time?? He hadn't even informed his team so that at least they could have made up the lost time in his absence. Why oh why does this girl always interfere in my life?? He was seething!

He snatched the phone and saw no missed calls. 

"That;s impossible. Ab kya kiya aapne? I can't believe ki no one called. I had particularly asked Tina to call me regarding the acquisition case. WHAT DID YOU DO NOW??" He screamed at Sona.

"Mr. Dixit, Tina did call. I spoke to her and told her how sick you were and that aaj aap ki haalat nahin hai to do much work. Usne kaha ki she will take care and inform everyone. Aap shaant ho jayiye please."

"Shaant ho jayiye.. hmmp..shaant ho jayiye? seriously? aap ab Tina ko bhi instructions dene lag gayi? jaanti kya hai aap mere kaam ke bare mein huh? aur aap hoti kaun hai mere baare mein decide karne wali? aapko maine pehle bhi kaha hai ki NEVER put my phone on silent, apko ek baar mein samajh nahin aati baat?" He started coughing and had to sit down.

Sona slowly walked over to the desk and offered him water. He was so angry that he lashed out immedaitely and the glass fell and broke. Sona calmly went and got another glass of water and gave it to him. He took it sheepishly and gulped it down. He felt better and calmer now. He looked up and saw Sona with tears in her eyes. She turned hurriedly and tried to wipe them away and hide it from Dev. She quietly went and started cleaning broken glass and wiped down the water from the floor. He could see her tears flowing down her nose and cheeks.

Dev's heart just wrenched from inside. He could never see Sona upset and he knew he was short tempered and sometimes just so involved with his work that he took out his frustrations on his loved ones. But seeing her so sad just broke his heart and he rushed to her side and softly took her by her elbows and turned her around. 

"Miss Bose I am sooo sorry! I shouldn't have shouted at you. Please forgive me."

"It's okay. Like I said, there are no issues otherwise Tina would have told me and I would have woken you up. Aapki haalat kafi kharaab thi and i just let you sleep that's why. I didn't ignore your office calls Mr. Dixit, maine phone silent pe rakha zaroor but I kept monitoring it too. Aap agar meri baat sun lete to main aapko acche se explain kar deti."

"I heard it now and I am sorry. Pata nahin why I reacted that way. We couldn't make the last merger and our company lost a big deal. This particular acquisition is extremely important and I guess I was angry on myself ki maine kaise aaj poora din sone mein nikaal diya and kuchh bhi kaam nahin kiya. I cannot explain waise koi bhi explanation is not enough. What I did aapke saath was wrong. Please mujhe maaf kar dijiye."

Sona couldn't hold back her tears when Dev lashed out and broke the glass. She knew that he was unwell and wasn't completely himself. But it still hurt. She had cared for him all day and this is how he reacted? arrgghh, Dev you can be so frustrating sometimes. I want to hate you! But I can't because I love you flaws and all, and maybe that's why it hurts so much? Aapne kitni asani se keh diya ki who the hell am I? you are right. I am no one. Her heart felt heavy.

"It's okay. I'm glad to see you are feeling better now and that's why ab mujhe chalna chahiye. I'm sure you will be fine." Sona said and she turned and ran from the room, down the stairs, picked up her bag and out the door.

She ran out on the streets, not caring what time of the night it is, she just ran. Tears blinded her eyes as she felt love filling her heart with pain. Why does love hurt so much? Why?

To be continued...