Pt 5: Get well soon

I was spacing out in school, starring blankly. I was doing nothing, not taking notes, not drawing, not even writing on my journal. Lily noticed me spacing out. she poked me and asked me "anything wrong fran?" I snapped out and looked at her, "yes-- I mean no, nothing's wrong, nothing really." I replied to her while taking out my notebook to write the lecture, she looked at me all puzzled and I smiled subtly telling her I'm fine, then she smiled and continued writing.

Dismissal time, it was a Friday, and it's a tradition to us to play league every Friday. But this time I had to say no, i told my friends it was important and they understood and continued without me. 

"well that's weird of you, you got yourself a girlfriend now?" Lily asked me smirking.

"I don't have a girlfriend." as I said in an accidental grumpy voice, because i was hurrying.

"it was a joke, you don't have to be so serious about it." she said grumpily 

"sorry, I didn't intend to say it that way, it's just that.... family matters and I have to go, have a safe trip" then i ran to home.

when I got home grandma and mom was getting ready with my sister, i had no time to get ready so I just changed to whatever clothes i can get, my moms 2 brothers were at the hospital looking after grandpa. while we were on the way my grandma told me so many things, we were outside the hospital and we were greeted by uncle Jar my favorite uncle, because we had the same interest and he owns an internet cafe in which I was free of charge whenever I use one of their station. 

"Grandpa is thrashing, the doctors were forced to tie him up." when he said that we hurried to get inside, minors were not allowed to get inside but thanks to my naturally intimidating face and my height they the guards thought I was a college student, and my grandma slipped my sister inside without the guards knowing. As we were getting close to the room where my grandpa was staying we were already hearing noises of struggle, my grandma was already crying, but I told myself "I have to get inside, I want to see him." we entered and we saw him, he has a tube on his mouth, to help him breathe. It was a sight of pity, they were all crying, uncle Jar, uncle Joe, aunt Mae, mom, grandma and my sister. I stayed strong, I didn't want to cry, not yet. My grandma stepped out of the room because if grandpa saw her, he won't take it, uncle Jar talked to him. 

"hey pa, if we get through this, we'll do whatever you want, we can drink beer all night, we wont let ma stop you, just please don't leave us." he was crying hard, i never saw him cry like that. After that uncle Joe the eldest of the siblings encouraged us, me and my sister, my sister didn't want to because she's afraid of seeing grandpa like that. So I got close to grandpa I held his hand and surprisingly he looked at me, directly at my eye, he wasn't thrashing anymore, he just looked at me. I started crying and knelt down the ground so he doesn't have to lift up his head, i talked to him for almost an hour i told him many things, how much I loved him and how much it would suck if he passed, he looked at me and smiled in a way. Then I had an idea, I took out a pencil and a piece of paper and I instructed him.

"Grandpa, i'll recite the alphabet, and you have to nod to spell it, okay" I said while my voice cracked. then he nodded agreeing to the idea, and so I recited the alphabet he nodded to the letters that he wants to use, then it spelled "water" I asked mom for a glass of water and made him drink via straw, then I asked him again what he wants, and this time he said "mama" so I told them that grandpa wants to talk to grandma, after that me and grandma exchanged and I got out of the room to get water for my self to catch some fresh air. "you did good." uncle Joe told me.

"did i?" i said as i stare outside the window

"you managed to calm him down, we couldn't calm him down for hours, but somehow, you managed to." he smiled at me

"thank you." I said tearing up.

A few minutes passed by and grandpa was again restless, grandma told me she wants him to sleep because it was already night, so i talked to grandpa and made him sleep I caressed his head to calm him down. 

______________________________________________________________________

P.S. if you're confused on how Francis and Lily became so close, i'll write about it(maybe), it happened between chapter 3 and 4.