Chapter Thirteen: Get set, let go

It didn't really matter much if I was ready to find out or not, even though it did concern me. 

What really mattered was what happened with Maxi and Vegas. If it did conspire that he was the father, which looked probable at this point, then at least there would be some consolation that Vegas would have a real father for once.

But on the otherhand, if it wasn't Maxi then we were all back at square one. 

The four of us were sat in the waiting room in the ward. Vegas insisted on being perched on my knee, to Sunny's dismay. I didn't blame him. She was acting pretty shifty. It wouldn't surprise me if she was plotting to run away again as soon as we find out the results. 

It'd been fourty minutes since we gave in the samples and the tension has risen steadily ever since. Maxi hadn't said anything in what felt like forever. As much as I wanted to punch him in the throat, I also felt bad for him. He was young- it'd be a shock for any older guy to find out you might have a kid. And then he found it it might not be his after all. 

It was a cruel plot twist and even I could admit that. 

Another ten minutes passed with Vegas bouncing up and down and mumbling away to himself. 

Finally Dr Swale reappeared through the swinging double doors like in those medical shows. His face gave nothing away. There was nothing to read except mild distain for his job. I bet his years of medical training did not have the purpose of hosting a Jermey Kyle-esque load of problems. 

"Would you like to follow me into my office?" Dr asked. 

We all did as we were asked and sat in the arranged seats. I passed Vegas back to Sunny, causing him to squirm in her grip. Her face flashed with anger towards me but I fake smiled it off. I owed her nothing. 

"Well the results came back and we have been analysing them. It appears that Maxi is not the father." Dr Swale said, cocking his head to the side ever so slightly. 

A sigh if relief passed through my lips accidentally and Maxi must have heard, prompting him to squeeze my shoulders. But the question still remained. 

I glanced at Sunny whose head was hung low in what I could only assume was shame, shock or upset. 

What happened next was something I could never have anticipated. 

"Thank you Dr." I smiled and went to get up. 

Sunny flung her arm across to me limply and pulled me back down to the seat. 

"Wait..." she sounded defeated, she knew what was coming. 

"Yes. Miss Savage, it appears that this child is related to you. You share a quarter of your alleles with Vegas." Dr Swale said, as though I was meant to know what it meant. 

"I'm sorry you are mistaken, I am not the father." I said, feeling pretty insulted that he thought I was a boy. 

"No, no." He chuckled slightly before coughing it back and continuing. "It means that your brother is the father." 

I turned my head to Sunny who was looking at  me, tears in her eyes. I tried to understand her position but deep down I knew that I didn't know this girl anymore. This was too much to handle. 

"You fucking bitch." I whispered in shock. 

The anger deep inside me welled up suddenly; I wanted to hit her. I wished so hard that she'd fall down dead on the floor. Enough times she'd fucked me over despite the fact I was always there for her. 

"Sav I'm sorry." She pleaded but I couldn't even look at her. 

"You stay the hell away from me from now on. If I so much as see you even looking in my direction then I will make sure you'll  wish you'd never met me." 

I got up, grabbed my bag and stormed to the door. 

"And that, dear Sunny... is a promise."