Chapter Eleven: Pale

Sav~

Two weeks had passed since the party at Quinn's. From what I could recall, it was a good night and when I awoke the next morning, passed out in the bathroom, I felt a shit load better (if that's possible!).

Jesse and I were put in for most the same shifts the following week, which made it easy to hide from all my problems; he offered me a place to stay. It was fair to say that I had formed a strong bond with him in only two weeks.

Now, I was sat in the tower with Bisho and Chappo, looking out over the crowded beach. Being Friday afternoon, it made the beach even more dangerous, I had learned, as the kids were all flocking in from school.

"Watch those kids there." Chappo, who was stood behind me, leaning on my shoulders lazily, pointed out a group of foreign looking kids.

I grabbed the binoculars and squinted into them, watching over the group of kids. They ran straight to the sea, right next to the dangerous current sign. I sighed and took the radio from it's charger.

"Tower to South Bondi," I said clearly, trying to be translated as well as possible to those down at south end, who were considerably closer to the sounds of crashing waves and kids shouting. "a group of kids are about to swim into a rip. You might wanna go in."

My other hand lifted the binoculars to my eyes again, watching as Troy pulled his shirt over his head and grabbed the board. My gaze followed him over the waves and up to the kids. Chappo patted my back proudly and slumped into the seat next to me.

"Good job, kiddo." Bisho flashed me his grin, revealing his row of straight white teeth like they were fresh out of a Hollywood movie.

"Thanks."

The tower fell quiet for a little while as we all scanned the beach and ocean in front of us. Having only worked a total of five shifts, I felt I was getting on pretty well. So far I had only done one rescue... and that was off the job.

Thinking of that rescue, I wondered how anyone had thought to put me up for the job. I'd assumed since Bruce had asked me, that it was Dunstan who had said something. But when I thought back on it, he was in the skatebowl when it happened, meaning he wouldn't have seen it. That meant someone else had. But who?

The sound of the radio crackling into life pulled me from my thoughts as Kobi's voice rang through from Bronte.

"We need a jetski out at Bronte. Now." He said rushed, as though in a panic. "There's been a body reported off the cliffs."

I felt my heart drop to my stomach, the stomach that now was churning and tying itself in knots. The radio dropped to the table as my hands began to shake. I didn't feel ready for it.

Chappo looked at me, quietly, probably thinking the same thing about me. A week is not enough to get used to these things. But it was my job and we were pretty short staffed. They'd told me at the start of my shift that I would be on the jetski with someone if it was needed. And it was seriously needed.

"Who am I going with?" I said finally, getting to my feet shakily and lifting my shirt over my head and pressing it against Chappo's chest.

He gave me a weak smile and handed the shirt to Bisho who just looked at the sea, emotionless. Neither of them wanted to do it either. And one person had to stay in the tower at all times. Chappo lead me to the back of the tower and handed me the wetsuit for the jetski and the other suit for whoever was going on it with me.

"You'll be fine kiddo. You come straight back to me afterwards, ok?" he said, his tone serious and his eyes sympathetic.

I nodded and bit my lip, pulling the tight suit over me and zipping it up. My lungs struggled to find the breath I so truly needed, tensing up each time I tried. The friendly looking Chappo held my arms and looked me in the eyes. I stared back at his handsome face, focusing on him and only him. My breathing I managed to settle down and my heart rate steadied.