Chapter Nine: Can we talk?

Sav~

“Hurry up and get in here!” Yatesey, our ‘guide’ today, called to me as I hung behind not wanting to enter the tower. “Good now this is Beardy. And this is Maxi.”

Yatesey motioned over to the two men sat in the chairs looking out over the beach.

My stomach began turning itself into un-unravelable knots as Maxi turned around.

His eyes pierced through me.

“Hi guys!” Beardy interjected between the silence.

I nodded in acknowledgement and the other boys I was with began to speak to him.

As if to add to the situation, Yatesey disappeared somewhere, leaving me stood alone in silence looking down at my shoes.

“Did Yates get your kit yet?” Beardy asked to all of us.

I shook my head.

“No, sir.” One of the others smiled.

“Ok, Maxi I’ll keep watch you go get their kit.”

I glanced back at Maxi who nodded and stood up.

“This way.” He spoke quietly.

We all followed him around the back as he bent down and got some uniforms out of the cupboard.

“Erm, one for you…” he began and handed it to one of the guys.

“I’m Jesse.” Said the tattooed muscley one he handed it to.

“And one for you…”

“Quinn.” The smaller guy smiled.

We hadn’t really had time to introduce ourselves yet but I guess it was sort of nice to not be alone as a rookie here.

“And for you Sav.” He handed me a blue shirt and some small black shorts. “And guys, unless you want Yatesey to steal your stuff, I’d write your names on them!” he warned us.

Beardy let out a laugh from the front of the tower.

Jesse turned to me as he slipped on the top.

“Sav is a cool name, is it your real name?” he inquired.

“Na, my real name’s Aria Savage but everyone calls me Sav.”

“Ahhh cool. I like it though.” He smiled and stuck his hand out suddenly. “I’m Jesse Polock by the way.”

I took his hand and shook it vigorously.

“Nice to meet you Jesse!”

Maxi returned to all of us once we were changed and began to talk.

“Right you can all have a 20 minute break until Yatesey comes back to show you the ropes ok?”

We all nodded and headed out the door.

**

“So you a surfer?” Quinn asked me as we lounged on the sand next to the tower.

I nodded my head looked out at the surf.

The waves were pretty big but then again they were always pretty good this early.

“Yeah, I am. All my life.” I explained and turned back to them. “How about you guys?”

“I surf quite a bit yeah, but not pro like you though” Quinn laughed. “How about you Jesse?”

Jesse looked up suddenly, as if caught off guard.

“Erm yeah you could say I surf a little.” He smiled weakly.

Something about it didn’t quite sit right, though.

We all sort of shrugged it off and continued to chat.

“You remind me of someone…” Jesse said softly as though he was thinking.

“Long hippie hair? Little beard? Talks like a stoner?” I prompted him and he smiled wildly.

“Dunno’s sister? Wow!”

I nodded and smiled.

“Half-sister but yeah he’s more like a best friend, ha!” I laughed along with Quinn and Jesse.

“Fuck, it’s hot!” Jesse complained and both Quinn and I rolled our eyes.

Jesse took off his top and flopped against the sand.

I could help but let my eyes scan him as he flailed.

Etched into his skin, just like mine, was a load of ink.

I recognized the tattoos straight away and everything began to click.

Like why he’d gone all weird when asked about the surfing thing.

“Maroubra, ey?” I asked.

He rolled back over off his stomach and looked at me.

I shot him a knowing smile.

“I’m not stupid, I do not live in a cave Jesse.”

“Ok, so yeah, I’m a Bra Boy.” He sighed.

Quinn looked at him in shock.

Just then I felt someone’s presence behind me.

“Sav, can I speak to you?” It was Maxi.

I stood up reluctantly and followed him over to the side.

“What?” I snapped.

“Look, I didn’t know you were looking after Sunny’s kid.”

“You mean YOUR kid?” I yelled and Jesse and Quinn glanced over at us, worried.

“We don’t know that…”

Maxi spoke softly and tried to touch my arm but I pulled away.

“Anyway, Sav. What I was trying to say was that Sunny won’t tell anyone who the other guy is and so we’re doing a DNA test. I’d like you to come with me please.”  He begged.

“Fine but if you’re the father you best take good care of Vegas.”

“Thank you so much!” Maxi tried to hug me but I pushed him away and turned back to the guys.

They were staring at us still.

Oh fuck.