Chapter eight: Opportunity calling, are you gonna answer?

Maxi’s POV~

-flashback to a few days ago-

“Is everyone here?” Bruce asked and everyone looked around.

“Think so!” someone shouted in reply.

“Good.” He stated and then begun what he’d gathered us all here for. “As you know, the beach is the busiest in Australia. And the numbers of visitors are rising monthly. Which means we have a problem…”

Everyone stopped fiddling and gave him their full attention.

“We either extend everyone’s hours, which is not preferable…” he continued.

A few people booed and hissed at the thought of longer hours.

“Or… We start recruiting more trainees to fill some new positions. Your choice boys…”

Hoppo made a fair point. Rising everyone’s hours would just anger everyone. But the other option… that was really possible.

“More recruits!” Beardy shouted and a few people agreed. Everyone else was in thought.

“Ok well, it looks like that’s what we’ll do.” He jotted down some notes on a pad and people began to get up when he burst into life again.

“I forgot to say: before we start offering the job to just anyone, if you have anyone in mind. Come and talk to me after please. Thanks guys, see you at work.” He finished.

Anyone in mind? Oh did I ever.

“Hoppo?” I asked as he looked up from the pad.

“Yes Trent?”

“I have someone in mind.”  I said quietly as if someone would hear me.

In truth, I knew exactly who I thought would be good for the job. I’d spoken to HER last night.

I was convinced it was HER that day on Bronte. SHE saved him. It was HER. I know it.

“Who’s that then?” he asked me. I took in a breath.

“Her names’-

“Maxi! You need to focus buddy!” Beardy yelled at me from the seat next to me. My vision returned to actually seeing the view from the lifeguard tower. He’d snapped me out of my daydreaming. “I hear the trainees are coming in for their first day today.”

He began to snigger but I couldn’t focus on him.

All I could think of was Sav. She’d run off from Sunny’s the other day. I hadn’t seen her since. She hadn’t been at home. No one had seen her.

I wondered if she was going to come in today, or ever.

“Ok so this is the tower where we administer first aid and view everything…” Yatesey’s voice trailed through the door before he’d even reached it.

I swiveled around in my chair and stared intently at the door.

Yatesey appeared. Followed by a young tattooed guy. Then another, skinnier guy. Then no one.

I sighed and turned around again.

“Hurry up and get in here!” Yatesey yelled to someone. “Good, now this is beardy. And this is Maxi.”

I turned around to wave and that’s when I saw her face.