Chapter Fourteen: Fast-forward

-two years later- 

"Maxi I don't understand why you're not here right now." I yell at the phone sat on the desk in the tower. I'm on a break right now and it's nearly time to close up on a monday afternoon. 

The beach is pretty empty by now, only a few runners along the sand and two surfers. Maxi was on the other end, facetiming me. 

"I SAID I WAS SORRY!" 

"Not good enough." I tutted loudly so he could hear my disappointment at his sudden decision to take the day off to spend it with Jesse. They both knew I wouldn't be there to crash their fun. 

A lot had happened since I'd stormed out of the hospital that day; Maxi had followed me and left Sunny for good. That concluded the chapter of their life together. As for me, I hadn't seen or heard from Sunny since that day. Aiden had tried to talk to me but for nearly a year, I gave him none of my time. 

Dunstan finally convinced me to speak to him so I gave in and called round to the apartment that he and Dad shared. I moved into Dunno's place temporarily until I found somewhere else to crash. When I did eventually speak to him, he told me that Sunny had told him all about Vegas but refused him any part in his life. They'd disappeared soon after. 

Since then, I'd moved in with Jesse and Matt in a house in downtown Bondi and was living there until now. 

"You're just hungry and it's making you grumpy." Maxi explained, speaking softly with a hint of sarcasm. 

I flipped him off and grabbed the binos to watch the surfer who'd just taken a massive spill. Luckily he'd been fine, and Deano had spotted it too so he'd have been more than alright. 

"Well I hope you know I'm going straight back to the apartment and I'm taking Matt out for dinner somewhere fancy."

"Macca's Doesn't count." Maxi chuckled as I screwed up my face in annoyance. "But you two kids have fun!"

"I'm so done with your shit." My lips curled up into a smile as I clicked the end call button, plunging the tower into a lonely silence. 

It was soon five to seven and Deano, Taco, Jake and Kobi all returned to the tower to put the equipment away. 

"Good day lads." Kobi mused as we all got our stuff, ready to leave and lock up the tower. 

The noise that escaped my lips could not have been described as human and that made my cheeks go red. You'd have thought that spending five days a week with a bunch of rowdy men under the scorching sun would've desensitised me from feeling such embarrassment but you forget that I'm still only 20 and am, afterall, tweenage girl at heart. 

"And laddettes." He winked and ruffled up my hair. 

"I'll see you all on Wednesday." I smiled, throwing my bag over my shoulders and headed out the door. 

The walk home was only twenty minutes but I took it slow so I could watch the sunset over the cliffs as I walked. I liked watching it every night as it made me feel calm and at peace with everything. Since the whole Sunny situation I became angry and irritable. People began to notice. 

I tried taking it out in self defense classes; I figured that I should at least get something useful out of my anger. It only made it worse. That's when Dunno stepped in and helped me become more spiritual. That did help. 

**

When the phone rings in the middle of the night, it's usually never someone you want to talk to. Or if it is, it's not about something you want to hear. 

I'd been in bed for only a couple of hours when the phone rang out through the apartment. The fucking thing didn't ring for long before it switched to our shared message tone. 

"You've reached Matt, Sav and Jesse. We can't reach the phone right now, mate. Holla after the tone."

BEEEEEEP.

"I'm calling after Aria Savage. I apologise about the lateness of the hour, however it is urgent. Please call back as soon as you get this message. Thank you." 

I could hear the message from my bed and my eyes opened wide. The man on the end of the phone did not sound like he was thrilled about what he had to say. My mind raced and raced; was someone in trouble? 

My feet hit the cold, hard ground as I ran for the phone and grabbed it off the base. The lights switched on slowly. First Matt's, then Jesse's. 

Matt appeared in his doorway, bed hair and sleepy face as he stared at me in a state of tired confusion. Jesse just grunted. 

I gestured towards the phone which was dialling. Both nodded and came rushing over. Neither said a word, only listened in carefully, as did I. 

"Hello?"

"Is this Miss Savage?"

"Yes. Who am I talking to and why?"

"I am Mr Artega. I'm calling on behalf of Miss Merrit." 

"Sunny? Why what's she done this time?"

"I'm afraid Miss Merrit has passed away.I'm sorry for your loss."

I felt a shiver run up my spine. It must've been a big joke, a ploy to get me to reconsider my decision to cut her out of my life. My mind considered who would lie about something like that? Was Sunny capable of being this cruel?

"I- I need to see her."

"I'm afriad you can't. Her family are dealing with her funeral arrangements." 

"When?"

"Earlier this evening."

"What...what happened to her?"

"She was involved in a police chase in her car. She was caught in a wreck." 

My whole body went numb. 

What about Vegas?

"Her boy, her kid! What happened to him?!"

"Vegas Merrit is safe and is currently being transferred to social services until you come and sort out the arrangements." 

"Sorry what?"

"Sunny wrote out her wishes before she passed away in hospital. She named you the sole carer for her son. You can either accept these responsibilities or hand him over to social services who will rehome him."

Matt gasped and Jesse squeezed my shoulders reassuringly. The first thing I wanted to do was go and tell Aiden. Then speak to Maxi. Then to Dad and Dunno. I didn't want to go down to social services office to collect Vegas. But I certainly couldn't let him grow up with strangers with inconsistant care. 

What the fuck was I going to do?

A/N - The story was boring me a bit, so i thought we'd pump some life back into it. Would love some feedback please guys if anyone's actually reading this.

VOTE + COMMENT

Love you xxx