The Sunray

***Nessie's POV***

The last time I was in Italy, I fell in love with the culture and everything it had to offer. At that moment, I was vying to come back, but now I wanted more than anything than to be further away from Italy. The last image I had of Jacob was him chasing after Ephraim and me in the vehicle. It was torture to see his face give up. I had no idea what I was doing. My stubbornness, yet again, has caused a mistake that I was paying for and now it involved Ephraim.

During the flight, I hesitated to speak with Jane. She wouldn't even glance my way which was fine because I wanted to rip that pretty little blonde head off. Aro could sense my anger, and tried his best to start a conversation with me.

"Renesmee, do not think this as a mistake you have made. You practically saved the life of your family and Jacob."

I stared at Aro with an intense look.

"You don't want to know what I'm thinking at this moment, Aro."

"Yes. I'm sure it isn't a delightful scenario at the moment. However, it would be wise to accept what has been done and move forward for what has yet to come."

"Aro, what the hell could you possibly want from me?"

"Oh my dear, it isn't you that I want. It's your child that carries a unique gift. It is one that you can't seem to comprehend unless you have felt what I have."

"What are you talking about, Aro? You weren't even able to hold Ephraim."

"Exactly, my dear. Exactly."

Aro's eyes opened wide. I didn't like that look. Ephraim had never showed any signs of power to Jacob or me, so I didn't know what Aro was experiencing. Could Ephraim really be gifted and we weren't aware of it yet?

"Tell me what it was, Aro."

He cackled his horrid laugh and stared at me with gleam in his eyes.

"In due time, Renesmee. In due time."

_______________________________________________________________________________

We arrived late in the evening at the Volturi Palace. Once we entered, we were greeted by a petite vampire. Her hair was a shade lighter than milk chocolate, and her body frame wasn't thin or frail. She looked disgusted with me, so I can only imagine she was informed about Alec's ill-fated death. Aro brought her towards me and ever so graciously extended out her hand to me.

"Renesmee, please meet my beloved guard, Chelsea."

I didn't remember meeting her the last time we were here for the Masquerade.

"Chelsea, Renesmee has a special gift as well and so does the precious baby she's holding onto dearly. I don't want anything to happen to them, as they are in full protection of the Volturi now. In due time, they will forever accept Volterra as their home, so there is no need to wield your power on them to me."

Aro turned his crooked smile to me, and I wasn't sure what power she had, but it seemed if he ever needed to use it on Ephraim or me then Chelsea was the link to his control over us. After a brief moment of her staring at me from head to toe, she finally spoke in a raspy voice.

"Let me show you to your sleeping quarter, Renesmee."

Aro nodded his head to direct me to follow Chelsea. I walked behind her and made sure I wasn't in close proximity to her. She never once turned around to make sure I was really behind her. She led me down a dark hallway with minimal lighting. Every piece of furniture and artwork we walked pass seemed untouched for several centuries. They were timeless pieces and uttered antiquity. We finally reached an area which Chelsea called the West Wing. She opened the wide double doors into a room that was surprisingly well lit with the tall windows. I scanned the room and saw a crib close to the overly sized king bed. Before I finished scanning the room, Chelsea was already at the door leaving. She was preparing to close the door.