Chapter 11 part i

-a week later-

Marriage?

It was more like a contract.

A contract where you sign an alliance treaty more than being bound to together with love and compassion.

A contract where you agree to fulfil to terms and conditions instead of wedding vows.

Just a mere contract.

No happiness, no joy, no celebration.

No kiss to seal their marriage, the blue stamp did the job.

And love? It was there slowly creeping in both of their hearts but none of them knew it yet.

The carriage was driving past the beautiful sceneries of Cyrail. All the trees, the brooks, streams and meadows seemed to race the carriage but ultimately were left behind. Jenavive and Matthew sat silently on the purple velvet seats of the carriage, both lost in their own thoughts.

Jenavive never had thought she would get married in such a dull way. Despite being betrayed, despite being told time and again of the responsibilities that came after being the ruler of a country, she still had dreams of getting married in a grand way.

She was a girl after all.

But she had forgotten that she was marrying a widower.

Perhaps this is what fate wanted.

She sighed in disdain leaning her head against cool glass of the window.

Matthew kept on glancing at her every now and then. He could sense the sadness she felt. It wasn't her fault. He remembered how Ophelia was excited for her wedding too.

The Prince was more disappointed about them leaving Cyrail in such short notice. An envoy had brought the news that their nemesis were attacking the borders of Jevanna and had seized many of the commoners who were living their the boundary line of the disputed territory.

It infuriated him.

Celio had recovered fast and had wanted his daughter to get married soon enough (if she were to live with another man.) Jenavive looked disappointed but had obediently complied to her father's wishes.

It saddened him and made him worry about her at the same time.

Matthew knew that she had found out about his past too. What if she doesn't give him a chance? What if Ophelia's memories haunt him again in the old castle of Jevanna?

What if Jenavive decides to break the contract?

He stared at his marriage ring, turning it around his finger. It was made of platinum with a sapphire adorned delicately on it. For some unknown reason, it made him smile.

'It has a striking resemblance to your eyes... So I told the jeweller to  put a sapphire on it...' She admitted shyly.

Soon enough, he felt a weight press against his shoulder. He turned around to see that Jenavive had fallen asleep. A smile spread across his face as he saw her in such a peaceful state. He didn't have the heart to push her away.

He was a gentleman after all.

So what do you think about the marriage part? And what about the pace of the story ? I'll be introducing a new character in the next part of this chapter so stayed tuned to find out more.

Yours Truly
The author