Chapter 1 part ii

(I edited this chapter, now all tenses are in past. I also shortened the paragraphs since many told me that they were a bit too long. If you still find any grammatical errors, please point them out instead of generally telling me about them)

The prince was settled comfortably in his carriage, driven by his most reliable companion. Of course, that ease was merely provided to him bodily and not emotionally. He involuntarily heaved a sigh and tried to comprehend the images that sailed past him, trying to distract himself from his doleful thoughts.

It seemed like the despondency of the shower was not presiding over his entire realm. He could see children splashing in the small puddles created by the rain. Their sound reverberated in his momentarily since the clap of thunder, the clatter of the rain and the tap of the stallion's hooves kept his hearing sense engaged.  He winced and looked away when he felt a familiar twinge in his heart once again. His eyes had taken a glimpse of a lovely couple murmuring to one another; exchanging sweet nothings in the rain.

He gazed at her amorously when she danced around elegantly in the orchard beyond the confines of the palace. A place where they would spend time together in solace. Her lithe frame swayed back and forth and once in a while she twirled on her toes as the rain poured down on her. She could easily be paralleled to a beautiful flawless angel dancing in the rain, as if revering the Almighty God for the blessing that poured down on her. Her golden tresses that touched below her knees were tied into a braid and decorated strikingly with floras of all types. It felt like they blossomed more exquisitely in her gold locks than on the soft earth that didn't mind being trodden by the princess who waltzed around in the orchard, devoid of any care. Her jade eyes reflected the nature that swayed with the breeze.

She beckoned him to join her but he refused her innocent pleas. He favored residing in the shade, admiring her from a distance as she giggled melodiously and splashed the water everywhere. No matter how much he gazed at her, her splendor would have never sated the love and desire he held for her. It brimmed and overflowed like a reservoir that reached its capability to hold the rainwater. When she felt exhausted, she curled up in his arms like a small kitten and he showered all his affection and attention on her.... She had the ability to turn a mere orchard into Eden.

His knuckles struck the wooden door of the carriage. His action had startled him as well as his companion who drove the carriage. Joseph held back the reigns of the dark stallions that whinnied in unison, lifting their forelimbs in the air. They resembled to the stallions that pulled Pluto's chariot and Matthew to the prince of darkness or more like the darkness itself.

''Are you all right, Sire?'' His companion asked without turning back while running a hand through the stallion's mane to pacify them. His voice was laced with sincere care for Matthew.

The prince shook his head, exasperated by his sudden action.

''Yes, I am perfectly fine.''

He clenched his teeth as the word 'fine' glided out of his tongue. They both knew that Matthew was miles away from that word. So far away, that the word seemed worthless to him. The young flaxen haired man turned around and gave the prince a small smile to comfort him before turning around and gesturing the horses to move onward in the obscure lane once again.

Joseph was the son of the most loyal warrior of the Reynard's who served them devotedly for more than twenty years. He lost life saving King Sebastian during a sudden combat against their enemy when they were out hunting. Unlike his father, Joseph was a tender and graceful boy who grew up with the prince. They both were around twelve when Joseph's father was slain callously.

Since then the king vowed to shelter his son and Joseph in return declared to serve Prince Matthew as a persistent companion. So it was no revelation when he kept on looking back at the prince who reclined on the carriage's velvet seat. He could forget having his breakfast, lunch and dinner but he could simply not stop worrying about his master, his companion and his best friend.

After a silent journey of around half an hour with the continuous symphony of the rain accompanying them, the royal castle came into view. It could easily be compared one of those that existed in the haunted stories or as if someone took it directly out of one of Edgar Allen Poe's short tales and fashioned it into reality. Its lumbering turrets and old stoned structure would have easily petrified a person who visited the palace for the first time.

Numerous vines sprawled around its turret's like a serpent claiming its territory, threatening its foes to keep away.  The castle had remained the same since centuries except a few modifications that were made regarding the security of the fortress. The lightening and the rain enhanced the eerie vibes the castle already gave off. So grey and lifeless; that it resembled to the prince's tedious frame of mind.

As soon as the carriage inched near the curtain wall of the castle, the drawbridge was lowered, permitting it to pass the moat. There was a dismal sound of the trumpet trying to find its way through the deafening breeze and hissing of the rain before gatehouse creaked and groaned open. The carriage arrived inside the open area and came to a halt. The prince strode down, straightened his coat, and nodded slightly at the guard who saluted him the moment he stepped out of the carriage. The doors to enter the palace opened slowly as a loud thunderous voice boomed within the hallways of the monotonous castle.

''Where in Jevanna is he?" He roared with his voice edged with fury. Matthew's sapphire eyes met a pair of aqua coloured ones. He came face to face with the king, his father. Sebastian Donovan Reynard.